4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2012 10:33 PM by dba-india RSS

How to change db_unique_name of standby

User447797-OC
      Oracle version : 11.2.0.2 RAC, Host os : RHEL 5.6

i need to change db_unique_name of my physical standy database.

1) How do i change it, what is the procedure for that?
      2)with the change in db_unique_name, are datafiles, logfiles names are also changed? For example my curent datafile name is:
      +data/EBSTST_STY/DATAFILE/USERS.382.789323897

If i change db_unique_name to EBSTST_SBY, does my datafile name also changes to
      +data/EBSTST_SBY/DATAFILE/USERS.382.789323897

3) Do i need to perform ant fresn backup of my databse after changing db_unique_name of my physical standy database, if we are taking backups from standby instead of primary.
        • 1. Re: How to change db_unique_name of standby
          berx
          1) just change it in your spfile and restart the instance(s).

2) the name of existing files are not changed. Just new files are created on different location (if you use OFA)

3) Please see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmcatdb.htm#BRADV89690
          • 2. Re: How to change db_unique_name of standby
            saurabh
            if you want to change your db_unique_name just make changes in spfile or pfile using which your instance is started. No with change in db_unique_name the name of redolog and datafile names are not changed.
            • 3. Re: How to change db_unique_name of standby
              CKPT
              i need to change db_unique_name of my physical standy database.
              1) How do i change it, what is the procedure for that?
              DB_UNIQUE_NAME is Static parameter, Once you change in SPFILE. You have to bounce database.
              2)with the change in db_unique_name, are datafiles, logfiles names are also changed? For example my curent datafile name is:
              +data/EBSTST_STY/DATAFILE/USERS.382.789323897

If i change db_unique_name to EBSTST_SBY, does my datafile name also changes to
              +data/EBSTST_SBY/DATAFILE/USERS.382.789323897
              No changes for the current files, Of course in future if you adding any datafiles the it will be created under New DB_UNIQUE_NAME, assuming you are using Oracle Managed Files.
              You can rename data files after performing image copy.
              3) Do i need to perform ant fresn backup of my databse after changing db_unique_name of my physical standy database, if we are taking backups from standby instead of primary.
              Do number of log switches, Once its completely synchronized then it sense that standby is functioning properly, Then take backup.
              • 4. Re: How to change db_unique_name of standby
                dba-india
                Note that after you change the db_unique_name in parameter file then you also need to update the DG_CONFIG parameter value on both primary and standby servers.
                Also update all other parameters where value of db_unique_name exists.