14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2012 7:10 PM by jgarry RSS

member and thread statistics

Catch-22
      Hi,

I remember that posts used to have a hit counter. Any chance for this feature to come back?
      Are statistics available on how many OTN members are visiting the site by main category?
      How many OTN members exist in total?

The reason for asking is that I sometimes contribute howto's to the forum and would rather not want to put in a lot of effort on topics that no one is really interested in.

Kind regards.
        • 1. Re: member and thread statistics
          Hoek
          Topics that no one is really interested in, are howto's and the SQL and PL/SQL FAQ.
          This is based on the number of times I have pointed other forum users to them ;)
          • 2. Re: member and thread statistics
            Catch-22
            ... in which case the number of visits of these pages should emphasize their usefulness.
            • 3. Re: member and thread statistics
              Timo Hahn
              Why not post your how to'a in a blog. Then you get the statistics from the blog.

Timo
              • 4. Re: member and thread statistics
                Nicolas.Gasparotto
                I would really second Timo on this. Whether they are helpful, I don't think the HOWTO documentation have a place here. Moreover, it can be wasted at any time since Oracle can "remove or choose not to make available on or through the Site any Content at its sole discretion." or "Oracle may, in its sole discretion, at any time discontinue providing or limit access to the Site, any areas of the Site or Content provided on or through the Site.".
                Please read the Terms of Use for more details (part 10 and 11).
                Much better to go for your own site. After all, are the forums not defined as "Oracle discussion Forums" (see the FAQ), rather than blog-like content sharing knowledge or whatever else ?

Nicolas.
                • 5. Re: member and thread statistics
                  Catch-22
                  Thanks for your info. I'm accept the Oracle terms of use and have no problem with it. Maintaining my own blog or site however defeats my purpose of contributing to the community and I see not much fun or advantage in maintaining such a site or page. I don't think I want to become a site moderator and appreciate if someone else does it.

The Oracle forums are defined as discussion forums for sharing information. It does not define any particular type of "useful" content. Your opinion or perception of whether or not howto's belong to these forums is probably right. At least I can confirm that the current forum software does not really provide a convenient space for presenting or maintaining such information. For instance, I can't update my own post after a thread has been locked, which is sometimes necessary.

Perhaps the other option was to submit an article to Oracle, but there is seems there is quite some administration and processing involved. I have generally received very positive feedback from the howto's I posted here, encouraging enough to continue, so far. Bringing back the number of hits per thread, as it used to be available, I guess would solve my questions.
                  • 6. Re: member and thread statistics
                    BluShadow
                    Dude wrote:
                    Your opinion or perception of whether or not howto's belong to these forums is probably right. At least I can confirm that the current forum software does not really provide a convenient space for presenting or maintaining such information.
                    Not strictly true.

When you start a new thread you get the option to mark it as a question or a non-question; the latter being something that could only relate to informative 'how to' type posts or articles.

I would just something as a necessary 'how to' if we see it continually coming up on the forum as a question or something that is often misunderstood. If that's the case and someone posts a well structured and useful how-to article, I'd happily add it to the SQL and PL/SQL FAQ (if it's relevant to that forum).
                    • 7. Re: member and thread statistics
                      Catch-22
                      I'm glad to hear howto's are welcome. It was not my opinion that howto's have no real place here.

But to mark a post as a question or non-question makes no difference in regard to managing the information. I know nothing about the forum software and can only guess there is currently no suitable alternative other than asking the forum moderator to unlock or lock a thread, which I should add has worked fine so far. But I don't like to bother. The presentation of information is another question. Unfortunately there is no option in e.g. Word, that allows me to "save as OTN forum format".

Anyway, I'm not complaining about it. I was just wondering about thread statistics, page hits and forum hits. I did about a dozen of how-to so far, and certainly not all of them are worth being put into the FAQ. Knowing these statistics would help me to determine faq's or topics of particular interest. I have no idea how many passive users there are in these forums. I can only guess that providing thread statistics have a potential for abuse, like when a poster hijacks a popular thread to get his attention, etc. Or was there any other reason why such a feature was removed?
                      • 8. Re: member and thread statistics
                        Nicolas.Gasparotto
                        Dude wrote:
                        ... Or was there any other reason why such a feature was removed?
                        I think that was because it killed the performance across the forums.

Nicolas.
                        • 9. Re: member and thread statistics
                          Catch-22
                          I remember there were very persistent problems with the forums, in particular when connecting to a certain host. Was it about a year ago? Anyway, the forum was on an off for weeks, producing duplicate posts, etc. I think it was during this time, perhaps in an attempt to solve the problem, when the page hit counters were removed. I don't know if it improved the situation, but I remember that problems continued for several weeks more.
                          • 10. Re: member and thread statistics
                            Billy~Verreynne
                            Dude wrote:

I remember that posts used to have a hit counter. Any chance for this feature to come back?
                            Seconded.

My reason - and I believe it is true for many posters: you post something. Some time later you look to see if there has been any responses. With the view/hit counter you can see how many views there have been of your problem. On the extreme sides of the scales. A 1000 views in 2 hours and no response tells you that your problem is noticed, despite no responses yet. 1 view in 24 hours mean that your subject title is not interesting and that no-one is going to bother.

It serves as a very good indicator whether your posting is getting at least some forum attention. Without it - you have no idea whether your posting is enjoying a spontaneous round of indifference, or not.
                            • 11. Re: member and thread statistics
                              Purvesh K
                              Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
                              Dude wrote:

Seconded.
                              I too support this...
                              • 12. Re: member and thread statistics
                                SomeoneElse
                                [Sorry, a bit off topic]

I had thought some research was being done to replace the forum software.

Several months ago a poll was posted asking about retaining old posts when the new software is implemented.

I answered the questions but never heard another word about it.

Does anyone know the status of that project? (well, I'm sure someone knows but may not be willing or able to say anything).
                                • 13. Re: member and thread statistics
                                  EdStevens
                                  N Gasparotto wrote:
                                  I would really second Timo on this. Whether they are helpful, I don't think the HOWTO documentation have a place here.
                                  Nick -

I would respectfully disagree. I think a lot of us would like to see some more technical discussion to balance the feeling that the board has become just a first-line help desk for those too lazy to read docs and/or google for previous postings on the same question. (Though I'll admit that when a discussion gets too deep I'll move on to helping newbies get back on track). I'd think a good HOWTO has a place in helpling generate that kind of discussion. I'd say any inherent limitation in its value is actually the well known limitation in people actually searching for an existing answer instead of just throwing up every half-baked question they have.
                                  Moreover, it can be wasted at any time since Oracle can "remove or choose not to make available on or through the Site any Content at its sole discretion." or "Oracle may, in its sole discretion, at any time discontinue providing or limit access to the Site, any areas of the Site or Content provided on or through the Site.".
                                  Please read the Terms of Use for more details (part 10 and 11).
                                  Much better to go for your own site. After all, are the forums not defined as "Oracle discussion Forums" (see the FAQ), rather than blog-like content sharing knowledge or whatever else ?

Nicolas.
                                  • 14. Re: member and thread statistics
                                    jgarry
                                    Since you have control over your blog, and no control over what happens here, you should post in both places, and perhaps also in any relevant wikis. Redundancy is good, especially with your excellent faqs. Different crowds may have different suggestions for improvement, too.