This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2012 1:13 AM by Prabodh RSS

Newbie questions: Strategic direction and HA FCF support

user361010 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, we need to put an Apex solution in for a customer who is running RAC and needs full HA.
We will be running both OHS and Weblogic for other reasons anyway.
Can someone please confirm the following two things for me, or point me at the documentation for it

1) It seems the listener is the preferred strategic route above OHS with mod_plsql?
2) When using the listener can we use the type 4 JDBC thin driver with FCF and with Gridlink or does it have specific dependencies on TAF for HA?

Regards
Ruan
  • 1. Re: Newbie questions: Strategic direction and HA FCF support
    Prabodh Guru
    Hi,
    Hi, we need to put an Apex solution in for a customer who is running RAC and needs full HA.
    We will be running both OHS and Weblogic for other reasons anyway.
    Can someone please confirm the following two things for me, or point me at the documentation for it
    >
    See http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/app-failover-oracle-database-11g-173323.pdf
    and http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex-listener/overview/index.html

WLS is one of the supported J2EE containers for ApexListener. So indirectly your WLS HA will be available to ApexListener deployments.
    ApexListener by itself cannot be clustered or made HA on its own.
    >
    1) It seems the listener is the preferred strategic route above OHS with mod_plsql?
    >
    See {thread:id=2427485}
    >
    2) When using the listener can we use the type 4 JDBC thin driver with FCF and with Gridlink or does it have specific dependencies on TAF for HA?>

The WP referred to above talks about FCF in the context of JDBC. As OCI driver is not used I believe TAF is not applicable.

Cheers,
  • 2. Re: Newbie questions: Strategic direction and HA FCF support
    user361010 Newbie
    Hi Prabodh, thank you for the reply.
    I had read a previous version of the white paper, the listener site index, and that thread before, and came to the same preliminary conclusions, but could not find categoric answers to these questions.

We are running a weblogic cluster yes, HA for the listener will be by deploying it there.

1) Many forum posts state that the listener is the future but I havent found anything from Oracle saying it is the preferred future direction. Only that it is newer, alternative, has specific benefits. While there are reasons to use it, it would be good if I could find a statement from Oracle that it is the preferred future option.

2) What your white paper reference seems to highlight on p4 is that FCF with FAN is now explicitly preferred above TAF with FAN.
    The APEX installation and configuration instructions on p2-3 show that either OCI connections or an "advanced connection" type 4 JDBC thin driver can be used for the listener.
    The first would traditionally use TAF but now seem to support FCF as well. The second would have to use FCF.
    I assumed the first used the type 2 JDBC driver under the hood, but whether it does it not really material.
    Apex has a long history of being used effectively with OCI and I assume it is mature for TAF failover by now.
    I can find no statement that explicitly states that APEX has been tested and certified to work effectively with FCF.
    Type 4 drivers have other significant benefits so I would like to know whether there has been confirmation.
    Considering the blanked recommendation in the whitepaper to use FCF where possible I assume it is a safe bet and the FCF support in OCI and APEX is stable?
    We could use OCI if we needed to.

Regards
    Ruan
  • 3. Re: Newbie questions: Strategic direction and HA FCF support
    Prabodh Guru
    Hi Ruan,
    I had read a previous version of the white paper, the listener site index, and that thread before, and came to the same preliminary conclusions, but could not find categoric answers to these questions.
    Neither have I come across anything categorical about this. After all both are their own products and as such not replacements of each other.

>
    We are running a weblogic cluster yes, HA for the listener will be by deploying it there.

1) Many forum posts state that the listener is the future but I havent found anything from Oracle saying it is the preferred future direction. Only that it is newer, alternative, has specific benefits. While there are reasons to use it, it would be good if I could find a statement from Oracle that it is the preferred future option.
    Apache is often indispensable, not so much because of mod_plsql but because of mod_rewrite and mod_proxy I guess. Barring the rewrite ApexListener does all that OHS does, plus it offers RESTful ,etc that OHS does not out-of-the-box.
    OHS is a stable product but there is hardly any new development on it. ApexListener on the other hand is evolving.
    >
    2) What your white paper reference seems to highlight on p4 is that FCF with FAN is now explicitly preferred above TAF with FAN.
    The APEX installation and configuration instructions on p2-3 show that either OCI connections or an "advanced connection" type 4 JDBC thin driver can be used for the listener.
    >
    Apex is a web paradigm so essentially stateless. So while the OCI connectors are available I have seen it mostly deployed with thin JDBC.
    >
    The first would traditionally use TAF but now seem to support FCF as well. The second would have to use FCF.
    I assumed the first used the type 2 JDBC driver under the hood, but whether it does it not really material.
    Apex has a long history of being used effectively with OCI and I assume it is mature for TAF failover by now.
    I can find no statement that explicitly states that APEX has been tested and certified to work effectively with FCF.
    Type 4 drivers have other significant benefits so I would like to know whether there has been confirmation.
    Considering the blanked recommendation in the whitepaper to use FCF where possible I assume it is a safe bet and the FCF support in OCI and APEX is stable?
    We could use OCI if we needed to.>
    Agree, there are no clear cut answers or WPs that talk about it. However, in the web paradigm we are do not need the kind of session fail-over mechanisms as with client-server (and that includes Forms 11g) applications.

Cheers,

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points