7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 10:38 PM by 968810 RSS

Add static entry for SCAN LISTENER

Christian
      Hey I am running a two node rac on grid 11.2 and db 11.2.0.3

My application does not like the scan listener, therefore I have to configure the remote listener parameter to the vips of the two hosts, which is working fine.

But it comes out the the system needs the service registered with the scan listener.

So. How can I add a static service entry for my scan listener ?

Chris
        • 1. Re: Add static entry for SCAN LISTENER
          Hi Chris,

Is there any specific error from the application. The best practice is to use SCAN listener.

Configure the remote_listener parameter to point to SCAN listener and let us know what is the error message from your application.

Regards,
          ST
          • 2. Re: Add static entry for SCAN LISTENER
            Christian
            I know thats its recommended to use the scan. But my developers won´t change there application.

Anyway,

how to add a static service entry for the scan listener ?

chris
            • 3. Re: Add static entry for SCAN LISTENER
              Hi Chris,

You can't really add a service statically to scan listener.

1) Scan listener redirect to connection to the VIP listener to resolve the service

Set the LOCAL_LISTENER parameter to resolve to VIP listener
              and REMOTE_LISTENER parameter to the SCAN Listener

Which should resolve your problem.

For more details about configuring SCAN listener the following PDF may be useful for you.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/clustering/overview/scan-129069.pdf

Regards,
              ST
              • 4. Re: Add static entry for SCAN LISTENER
                Levi Pereira
                Hi,

I don't understand why add static service name. Add static service name on listener is recommended only when you need connect remotely in a Inactive Instance and only to SYS user can connect or if you don't configured LOCAL and REMOTE Listener Parameter.

So, If you configure LOCAL and REMOTE Listener proper the all SERVICE NAME configured on your database will be always automatically added on all Listeners, you don't need worry about in configure the service on Listeners Manually.

With Oracle RAC you should not use the Parameter SERVICE_NAMES, you define Service Using EM or SRVCTL
                http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25513/initparams228.htm#REFRN10194

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14072_01/rac.112/e10718/hafeats.htm#BABHBDJD

Regards,
                Levi Pereira
                • 5. Re: Add static entry for SCAN LISTENER
                  Christian
                  OK, you are right. Using the scan entry as remote listener, is registering the service on the vip address. Thats good. thx anyway.

Chris
                  • 6. Re: Add static entry for SCAN LISTENER
                    Christian
                    Hey, I solved my problem by entering both parameters to the remote listener parameters:
                    'scan:1521','(Description....vip-a....vip-b)'

Chris
                    • 7. Re: Add static entry for SCAN LISTENER
                      Hi Christian,

can you show me an example the the configuration you have made?