This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 4, 2012 9:13 AM by Mark Malakanov (user11181920) RSS

Streams & Data Guard w/failover

user476243 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Oracle 11g (HPUX and Linux)

I wanted to know if the possible scenario is possible:

db1 and db2 are the source and destination respectively in an Oracle Streams setup.

db2 and db3 and the Primary and Standby (Cold Failover) databases respectively in an Oracle Data Guard setup.

From what I have heard, this is possible. However, my question is when db2 fails or goes down does db1 then know to continue replicating to db3?

What needs to be done additionally (i.e. configuration) to allow db1 to replicate to db3 until we can get db2 up and running again? How would the destination database be instantiated?

My initial thought is that you can't do this (i.e. the database having a configuration for Streams and Data Guard).

If this is not possible, then is RAC the better option? Im thinking you could have db1 (the source database) and db2 and db3 being a 2 node RAC both configured for streams (destination databases).

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Thank you in advance.
  • 1. Re: Streams & Data Guard w/failover
    Mark Malakanov (user11181920) Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    My initial thought is that you can't do this (i.e. the database having a configuration for Streams and Data Guard).
    I may be wrong but I do not see a reason why you cannot use DataGuard physical standby of DB that has Streams replication.
    However if you use Async transport there can be risk of loosing last Streams transactions, I do not know how Streams will tolerate this. I think rebuild/reinit of it will be required with resynchronization of all target tables.
    If you use Sync transport this will not be an issue, but performance may suffer.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points