11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2012 12:26 AM by 939857 RSS

mapping measures of cube with data using awm

hi i am new in using analytic workspace manager i have already created dimension of a cube and mapped data into that.the i created cube now i want to map dimension into cube and aggregating values into measures.but i am unable to load data into cube and calculate the aggregate values.
      that pls help me if any one knows this as this is part of my project so its very necessary to understand for me.

Edited by: karuna nidhan tiwary on Sep 3, 2012 10:09 PM
        • 1. Re: mapping measures of cube with data using awm
          DavidGreenfield
          You say that you are "unable to load data into cube and calculate the aggregate value". Could you please explain more? Do you get an error when you try to maintain the cube or is there just no data in the cube after the maintenance?
          • 2. Re: mapping measures of cube with data using awm
            Nasar-Oracle
            Karuna,
            Can you provide the error from log table?
            You can use the following query.

SELECT FROM cube_build_log order by time desc;*
            • 3. Re: mapping measures of cube with data using awm
              thnaks for your reply sir..
              actually i am trying to implement basic things like in the tutorial provided by oracle for building cube using olaptrain schema in analytic workspace manager.they are creating one sales_cube and mapping there attribute(dimensions and measures) with one table called sales_fact which is containing all the attribute of the cube as well as data . so in my case i taken the scott user created one dimension named department for emp table with heirarchy as empno<deptno<all dept. now i created one cube named hire and want to calculate no of employee hired each year simply.

but the problem is how to store data in that table i will map.
              • 4. Re: mapping measures of cube with data using awm
                if u can tell me one example for creating cube on scratch level it will be more better for me as my project is privacy preserving olap using inference control approach so it is the basic step i will have to follow.. and i am very new in it but i am quite interested to do this project as a part of my post graduation degree followed by phd.so pls help me..

thanx in advance
                • 5. Re: mapping measures of cube with data using awm
                  in this a long list is comming.

OUTPUT
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AW OWNER
                  ------------------------------ ------------------------------
                  PARTITION
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  SCHEDULER_JOB
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TIME
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  BUILD_SCRIPT

BUILD_TYPE COMMAND_DEPTH BUILD_SUB_OBJECT R SEQ_NUMBER

---------------------- ------------- ------------------------------ - ----------

COMMAND_NUMBER IN_BRANCH COMMAND_STATUS_NUMBER
                  -------------- ---------- ---------------------
                  BUILD_NAME

BUILD

BUILD_ID SLAVE_NUMBER STATUS COMMAND
                  ---------- ------------ ---------- -------------------------
                  BUILD_OBJECT BUILD_OBJE
                  ------------------------------ ----------
                  OUTPUT

AW OWNER
                  PARTITION
                  SCHEDULER_JOB

TIME
                  BUILD_SCRIPT

---------------------- ------------- ------------------------------ - ----------

BUILD_NAME

SCOTT.DEPARTMENT USING

BUILD_OBJECT BUILD_OBJE
                  OUTPUT

AW OWNER
                  PARTITION
                  SCHEDULER_JOB

TIME
                  BUILD_SCRIPT

BUILD_NAME

(

BUILD_OBJECT BUILD_OBJE
                  OUTPUT

AW OWNER
                  PARTITION
                  SCHEDULER_JOB

TIME
                  BUILD_SCRIPT

BUILD_NAME

LOAD NO SYNCH,

BUILD_OBJECT BUILD_OBJE
                  OUTPUT

AW OWNER
                  PARTITION
                  SCHEDULER_JOB

TIME
                  BUILD_SCRIPT

BUILD_NAME

COMPILE SORT

BUILD_OBJECT BUILD_OBJE
                  OUTPUT

AW OWNER
                  PARTITION
                  SCHEDULER_JOB

TIME
                  BUILD_SCRIPT

BUILD_NAME

)

BUILD_OBJECT BUILD_OBJE
                  OUTPUT

AW OWNER
                  PARTITION
                  SCHEDULER_JOB

TIME
                  BUILD_SCRIPT

BUILD_NAME

JAVA 0 58

BUILD_OBJECT BUILD_OBJE
                  OUTPUT

AW OWNER
                  PARTITION
                  SCHEDULER_JOB

TIME
                  BUILD_SCRIPT

BUILD_NAME

0 0 1

BUILD_OBJECT BUILD_OBJE
                  OUTPUT

AW OWNER
                  PARTITION
                  SCHEDULER_JOB

TIME
                  BUILD_SCRIPT

BUILD_NAME

BUILD_OBJECT BUILD_OBJE
                  OUTPUT

AW OWNER
                  PARTITION
                  SCHEDULER_JOB

TIME
                  BUILD_SCRIPT

BUILD_NAME

288 rows selected.
                  • 6. Re: mapping measures of cube with data using awm
                    DavidGreenfield
                    I suggest that you work through one of the Oracle OLAP 11g tutorials on the Oracle OLAP page: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/options/olap/index.html.

This one, for example, will show you how to define dimensions and cubes: http://st-curriculum.oracle.com/obe/db/11g/r1/olap/cube/buildicubes.htm
                    • 7. Re: mapping measures of cube with data using awm
                      thanks for reply sir sir i have read this link two or three times and i have successfully implemented that also but i am confused at one point how they are maintaining sales_fact table which is mapping to the sales cube..means that that sales_fact table is created by own or they have created and if the have created then how the data is stored under that fact_table. is it done manually or it is automatically genereted. sir pls give a fast responce because i am urgently need to understand this to make my own data cube for my project.
                      • 8. Re: mapping measures of cube with data using awm
                        DavidGreenfield
                        Oracle OLAP is almost always implemented on top of a pre-existing set of relational tables. These tables typically form a "star schema" or a "snowflake schema". You can read about these in many places on the internet (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_schema) and creating them is not part of OLAP. So the brief answer is that the relational tables in the tutorial, such as SALES_FACT, are assumed to exist.

You may want to take a look at the Oracle Warehouse Builder product. This provides support for building star schemas in the first place.
                        • 9. Re: mapping measures of cube with data using awm
                          then if i have to make of my own cube then how this fact table will be created.what i will have to buildup the table first before mapping the fact table to the table. because some smaaler cube builder software they just use datasource to build dimension only and central fact table is created automatically by aggregating those dimensions.as i seen in a software buildup cube.
                          • 10. Re: mapping measures of cube with data using awm
                            DavidGreenfield
                            You need to define and populate the star schema tables first. You then define cubes and dimensions on top of those tables.

If you were doing this project for a real business, instead of as a degree project, then the business would generate the data for the star schema tables. A retailer, for example, would generate sales figures and a bank would generate account info. If you don't have any base data to start with, then perhaps OLAP is not what you should be using for your project. Why do you think you need OLAP?
                            • 11. Re: mapping measures of cube with data using awm
                              sir i am a master degree student and doing a project for my degree whose name is privacy preserving olap an inference control approach in this project i have to apply security on the cells of the cube by using some policies using virtual private database but before going through all those thing i will have to learn from scratch about how to build cube and how to access the particular cells as i have already learnt about the security stuff and implemented those things on a single table so only this is the biggest roadblock for me thats why i want to learn these things.