This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 1:14 AM by Pinela RSS

GC requires EM running?

Pinela Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

2 questions:
1 - does enterprise manager (dbconsole) need to be running on the server of a GC managed database? or just an agent?
2 - if on GC, in the data guard section, we click primary, and then we get a list of standbys, but are unable to click the target name (accessing it), what could this be? the agent is running in the standby server.

br,
pinela.
  • 1. Re: GC requires EM running?
    venkata thiruveedhi Guru
    Hi Pinela,

1. Yes it can be, for Grid Control to monitor that specific target, you should have an agent on that server.
    DBControl can also be available for that db target.

2. Could not get this, can you please provide the screen shot of the same. Were you unable to click on the target? Is that what you are referring to?

Thanks,
    Venkat
  • 2. Re: GC requires EM running?
    Pinela Journeyer
    hi venkata,
    thank you for your comments.

1 - the agent yes. but is the agent enough for every possible management feature? or does dbcontrol have to be started/configured?
    2 - I mean, that in the stadnby database list, the targetname is not clickable/selectable.

br,
    pinela.
  • 3. Re: GC requires EM running?
    venkata thiruveedhi Guru
    Hi Pinela,

1. Lets make it clear. If you have installed a Management Agent, you does not require any Database Control to be started / configured.
    Agent will take care of the metric collection for all the targets in that server.

2. Will check on this and confirm you.

Best Regards,
    Venkat
  • 4. Re: GC requires EM running?
    Pinela Journeyer
    thanks venkat.
    that is all I needed.

>
    Agent will take care of the metric collection for all the targets in that server.
    >

2 - I understand that this is difficult to get what I'm saying without a screen. I'll get back to this in the future :)

thank you.

br,
    pinela.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points