3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 7:34 AM by Tridus RSS

ODBC setup error for Oracle Client

Hi,

I'm trying to setup ODBC connection for my Oracle client while installing BO. Following are the steps I followed.

1. Downloaded the Oracle Client from the link http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/instant-client/index-097480.html . From that downloaded two zip files. “Instant Client Package – Basic Lite" and “Instant Client Package – ODBC”. Extracted the Zip Files to the folder I created under C: as C:\Oracle\instantclient_11_2.

2. Since I'm setting up in ODBC in windows 2008 64-bit R2. I was advised to install 32 bit . So in cmd prompt, from the location C:\Oracle\instantclient_11_2, ran odbc_install.

3.Created the Environment variables as
      i) *TNS_ADMIN - C:\Oracle\instantclient_11_2*
      ii) *Oracle_Home - C:\Oracle\instantclient_11_2*
      iii) *Edited the PATH variable with ;C:\Oracle\instantclient_11_2*

4. Created the tnsnames.ora file in C:\Oracle\instantclient_11_2. Its content are as follows.
      clarity_dev =
           (DESCRIPTION =
           (ADDRESS_LIST =
           (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = claritydev.vip.its.ebay.com )(PORT = 1521))
           )
           (CONNECT_DATA =
           (SID = clarity)
           )
           )

5. From the folder %windir%\sysWOW64\odbacd32.exe, Opens ODBC Data Source Adminsitartor. In that I found my Oracle in instantclient_11_2 and added following details.

Data Source Name : claritydev.vip.its.com
      TNS Service Name : clarity_dev
      User Id: clarity1

When I test connect it, I get error *ORA-12154:*
      *     TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified*

Could you please help, I've seen FAQs for this error, but couldn't find anything which solves. Is there any steps I'm missing? I've checked in DB properties. It uses SID not the Service Name.

Thanks in Advance

Sreeram