This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 1:43 AM by 830206 RSS

How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?

mehrab Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
HI,

I need some help, i am a mac user and want to install oracle linux 4 the 1st time:
I see the last version is 6.3 and there is 4 different files

1- is there any manual to tell me what to do?
2- how can I verify the disks before installing them?

Thanks in advance
  • 1. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    Dude! Guru
    You need an Intel based Mac in order to install Oracle Linux under a VM product, such as VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/

The Oracle Linux OS iso install DVD is available from https://edelivery.oracle.com/linux

To verify the checksum of the downloaded iso:

Open Terminal from Applications and type:

<pre>
    openssl sha1 filename
    </pre>

You can drag and drop the downloaded iso into the terminal window so you don't have to type the filename. Then compare the resulting checksum with what's shown under "view digest" at the download site.

To install the OS under Virtualbox you simply create a new Virtual Machine and specify the ISO image file as the CD/DVD media. The actual OS installation will be like any other installation. You can download more info from: https://linux.oracle.com/documentation/

Btw, you can also download pre-installed virtual machines from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html
  • 2. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    mehrab Newbie
    Hi,

I believe i5 mac is an intel based one, right?

I want to install it as the main and the only OS on my mac so do I still need a VM or not?

there is 4 .iso file on https://edelivery.oracle.com/linux :
    v33411-1.iso
    v33412-1.iso
    v33413-1.iso
    v33414-1.iso

Should I Burn all on DVD and start with v33411-1.iso or can I just burn v33411-1.iso and copy others on a USB?

THX
  • 3. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    Dude! Guru
    Simply check "About this Mac" from the Apple Finder menu to see what you have. Please note that this is not a Mac or Windows forum, so more specific questions are beyond the scope of this forum.

You only need to download V33411-01. You don't need to burn any DVD since you can boot the VM from the iso image file directly as previously mentioned.
  • 4. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    mehrab Newbie
    Sorry, I am new in Linux

Do I still need VM if I want to install only Linux on a mac or a hp server?

Thx
  • 5. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    Dude! Guru
    There is no such thing like a Mac i5. Changes are you have an Intel dual-core i5 chipset.

IMHO, installing Oracle Linux to run as the host OS on a Mac is not the best idea. And from what you explained so far, the technical aspects of this endeavor will be beyond your current skills and experience. You are most likely going to regret your decision to replace Mac OS X with Linux.

Please keep in mind that Enterprise Linux is not designed for Desktop computers, the same applies to WinTel machines. There is very limited hardware support. You will have better luck with other Linux desktop distributions like Fedora or Ubuntu, but even with the latest versions, support for the Mac trackpad, heat and power management is questionable. Virtualization is the way to go.

If you want to install Oracle Linux on an Intel based HP server that's a totally different prerequisite.
  • 6. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    mehrab Newbie
    Yes I have an Intel dual-core i5 chipset.

Actually my company purchased a HP DL380G7 E5645 server for eBS and we want to install Oracle Linux 6.3 on it. But since I didn't do it before, I just want to try it on my Mac first to learn how it is look like and then do it on the server

Thanks
  • 7. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    Dude! Guru
    Virtualbox.

Btw, I use a Mac Pro myself. The problem is you don't know Virtualbox. If you would, you would never want to install any OS as a primary system for evaluation or testing. The nice thing about Virtualbox, among other things, is that it allows you to clone or restore a virtual machine from any existing snapshot, which is great for experimenting, because you don't have to reinstall the system in case you screw things up.
  • 8. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    mehrab Newbie
    Where can i find what is virtualbox?
  • 9. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    Dude! Guru
    The link is already in the first line of my first reply..
  • 10. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    mehrab Newbie
    THX

Edited by: 957069 on Sep 5, 2012 4:48 AM
  • 11. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    Dude! Guru
    Btw, I recommend to change your subject to "How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 on Mac".
  • 12. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    mehrab Newbie
    actually my main concern is how to install it on HP DL380G7 E5645,

If I can find a reliable source to tells me how, i will not do it on my iMac anymore.
  • 13. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    mehrab Newbie
    1 more question

To install virtuallbox on the server, first I need to install Linux on it and then I install VirtualBox 4.1.20 for Linux hosts, right?
  • 14. Re: How do I install Oracle LINUX 6.3 ?
    EdStevens Guru
    957069 wrote:
    1 more question

To install virtuallbox on the server, first I need to install Linux on it and then I install VirtualBox 4.1.20 for Linux hosts, right?
    You don't need virtual box on the server. The suggestion for VB was to allow you to practice on your Mac. On the server, you'd install the OS on bare metal.

And if it is a new server that you are planning on installing OL on for the first time, why not just go ahead and install on the server? What's the worst thing that can happen? A poor install that you need to do over again? What would be the loss?
1 2 Previous Next