This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2012 9:24 AM by RogerL (Oracle) RSS

Java Web Start - Not Executing Associated Files

960444 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I've never seen this and have no answer. I'm installing java on a Windows 2008R2 Terminal Server (now called Remote Desktop Services Server). It looks as though it installs fine (I've tried 32, 64 and several versions of the java jre builds). From the command line I can see java is installed and view the version. But as an Administrator, when I click on a *.jnlp file, it fails to execute it does nothing in the forground or background.
I've tried directly associating the file with the Java Web Start, java and javaws file in the java/bin folder, but still have the same issue.

The http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp test page work just fine.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this is welcome. I have a school full of students needing access to this file.
  • 1. Re: Java Web Start - Not Executing Associated Files
    961983 Newbie
    What happens if you drag the *.jnlp file and drop it directly over the javaws.exe file (C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaws.exe) or C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaws.exe?
  • 2. Re: Java Web Start - Not Executing Associated Files
    RogerL (Oracle) Java Champion
    Some questions.
    What version(s) are you installing? At least one specific version please.
    Are you installing this directly on the server and the user account being used to install is the same one where the the JRE was installed?
    Is there a file association with JNLP files?
    When you run the command, are you using a client session from another machine or are you directly on the machine?
    If you run from the command line does it start and do you see an errors?
    .....\bin\javaws http://www.foo123.com/some.jnlp

I don't know, but suspect that there could be some issue with were the app is displayed once it is launched, or there is something about running a jnlp app from a client that is causing the runtime to fail.

-Roger

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points