4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2012 9:37 AM by Ryan S.-Oracle RSS

Runnin Endeca in Multithreaded mode

Hi,
      I am trying to run Endeca Server in multithreaded mode just to check any effect on the performance.

For this I created a data store with following command: endeca-cmd create-ds DataStoreName args threads 4

I went through without any issue. But I did not see any performance improvement and also the dgraph process running on server were less than 4.

Is this the correct way?

Thanks,
        • 1. Re: Runnin Endeca in Multithreaded mode
          Frank
          Yes, that's the correct way to set the number of threads for the dgraph. Note that by default, the dgraph runs in multithreaded mode (i.e., --threads 2 is the default).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
          • 2. Re: Runnin Endeca in Multithreaded mode
            Ryan S.-Oracle
            Also please keep in mind depending on the volume of data and type of query the degree to which a query can be parallelized and thus use multiple threads will vary. In general more threads will allow the Endeca Server to handle more concurrent users and reduce the time of complex long running queries.

- Ryan
            • 3. Re: Runnin Endeca in Multithreaded mode
              Thanks Frank and Ryan,
              so as much as I know, running Endeca in multithreaded mode will improve the Studio experience. It doesn't have any effect on data store loading process(Integrator performance), right?

Thanks,
              • 4. Re: Runnin Endeca in Multithreaded mode
                Ryan S.-Oracle
                The number of thread will have an impact on the data store loading process, but the most significant change you can make is to leverage the Bulk Add/Update Records component in lieu of the Add/Update Records. The Bulk component will prioritize ingest speed of query response.

- Ryan