I've been searching for several minutes in the Oracle certification area for a diagram I've seen before. It's a diagram that shows most (if not all) of the Java certifications in a stack of the beginner certs up through the advanced ones and the paths to go from the former to the latter.
Can someone refer me to the exact link of where this diagram is? I've seen it in the past but I just can't find it now...
You don't indicate how long ago you saw this chart. There's not enough information in your post for me to be certain, but I suspect that the chart may have been replaced by the 'Certification Finder' tool that was added a few months ago. I did go to Google images and search for 'Java Certification'. The search returned a number of charts showing Java certification paths, but they were all pretty dated (i.e. from before the Sun acquisition).
Wonder if it was just recently removed because I was looking at the chart just last week.
It was a diagram that had the OCJP certification at the top and then underneath it the Web Components, Web Services, etc... certs and then I believe the Master and Expert levels alongside some architect ones.
Is there any sort of flow diagram that you're aware of on the oracle sites that shows the progression of certifications?
Java certifications aren't my specialty, but I'm normally pretty good at finding information in the Oracle Education certification pages. In this case, I haven't had any success whatsoever. Hopefully someone else will have better luck than me or remember that diagram. If you've seen it that recently, it's not something that was removed at the time the Certification Finder was added.
I think you will find some information by
1. Going to the Certification web site - http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=39
2. Hover over "Certification Paths", then click "ALL CERTIFICATIONS"
3. Select "Java and Middleware" in LOV number 2
4. The result will show a list of certifications available in this area
5. Click on a link to see details (for example, if you click on "Oracle Certified Master, Java SE 6 Developer", you will see http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:JSED6)
I am already familiar with that information. What I'm looking for is a high level flow of advancing in certifications. For instance, what would the flow look like to get to achieving the Oracle Certified Master, Java EE 5 Enterprise Architect certification.
This diagram was not updated for new Java certifications and is no longer available. As mentioned above, you can view a list of available Java Certifications on our website. Let us know if you have any specific Java certification questions.
Certification Forum Moderator
I have just about the same problem as Zack. I would like to know how the exams are connected. Or, more precisely:
1. Can you take every certificate independently of each other? Can you for instance take the OC Expert, Java Platform, EE 6 Enterprise JavaBeans Developer certificate as your first certificate, or do you have to start ”from the beginning”, with for instance OC Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer or maybe even OC Associate, Java SE 5/SE 6? If there are such prerequisites, where is the information about this?
2. Is the test in itself all that’s needed to get the certificate? I can’t find any information about other prerequisites, but many people talk about mandatory hands-on-courses and such things. If this type of prerequisites exist, where can I read about it?
B R Christer
You'll have to go the route that Srini outlined.
In order to achieve the Enterprise Edition 6 Enterprise JavaBeans Developer certificate, you would have to get the Oracle Certified Professional Java certificate first and then you could the Enterprise JavaBeans exam.
You have to go to the individual certifications to find out what's required to get them.
For the Enterprise JavaBeans certificate, you can see the path to getting it at http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:JEE6JPE