4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 7:12 AM by user12273962 RSS

Choosing a highly-available, networked file system for VM images

What's the consensus here on highly-available, networked file systems for VM disk images?

HA-NFS seems difficult and overly-complicated.
      GlusterFS doesn't seem to be well-suited for this task.
      Ceph/RADOS seems popular but there isn't much information available.
      OCFS2 seem to be suitable but there also isn't much information available.

Eric P.
      Truckee, CA
        • 1. Re: Choosing a highly-available, networked file system for VM images
          budachst
          Well, actually there isn't much of a choice here: OCFS2 is the fs that OVM uses and it's not too bad either. As with all cluster fs, OCFS2 is not suited for databases, since latency can get a little high, but since in case of a HA event, the guest would likely restart anyway, one could use some other storage for that.
          • 2. Re: Choosing a highly-available, networked file system for VM images
            Thanks, Budachst:

My goal is to make the storage cluster, as a whole, highly-available. i.e., the SAN should redundant (e.g., DRBD) and provide for failover (LinuxHA).

Ideas? Suggestions?

Eric Pretorious
            Truckee, CA
            • 3. Re: Choosing a highly-available, networked file system for VM images
              budachst
              Actually, I still would suggest taking a closer look at what I had mentioned in your other thread:

[Use OCFS2 to Share Local Storage (DAS) Across OVM Compute Nodes|https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2438632&tstart=0]

I still think that this would also solve thus thread. In the end, there is no how-to on how to build that up and you probably will need some help from some experts. I for myself, also didnÄt configure all of that on my own - i left ASM/Cluster part for some contractor to setup and focused on the iscsi-target/initiator setup along with the multipath setup on m VM servers.

Maybe I will do a little write-up, once we get it all sorted out, since we do experience some strage behaviour of our storages boxes, while ASM hammers ob them quite hardly, but I suspect the raid controllers to blame and not the concept… ;)
              • 4. Re: Choosing a highly-available, networked file system for VM images
                user12273962
                NFS isn't over complicated. You should have multiple paths to the NFS share being used and the NFS share should be on a system that has multiple NICS bonded together to provide HA. There are bonding modes available to the VM server that provide either load balance/failover or just straight up Fail over.

Either way. Oracle VM already uses OCFS2 on all its clustering connections such as repositories and server pools. It just creates a ocfs2 filesystem "on top" of the NFS filesystem. Its not really "on top". But you should get the picture. Its probabily very similar to the NFS direct connections associated with the Oracle Databases running over NFS.