This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 67 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2011 9:43 AM by 176269 Go to original post RSS
  • 60. Re: Request for Comments and Experiences with Instant Client
    393703 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    I am having problems installing Instant client with existing Oracle 9i client. Some of our users have Oracle 9i client already installed. In this case, I need to do the following to make it work.

1. Add the Instantcclient dir path
    2. Remove oracle_home from registry
    3. SET NLG_LANG and TNS_ADMIN env variables.

The main issue we are facing is with TNS_ADMIN. When you set this variable to Instantcclient dir , then both Oracle 9i and InstantClient 10g started using the tnsnames.ora in instant client dir. This is not acceptable , as some of the might intend to use Oracle 9i network/admin/tnsnames.ora file when they use Oracle 9i ODBC driver.

Can you please tell me how to install/configure Instant client 10g with an existing Oracle 9i client. Also, can you send me the ODBC Connection string thats doesn't use tnsnames.ora.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks
  • 61. Re: Request for Comments and Experiences with Instant Client
    476818 Newbie
    Very good initiative this Instant Client. Although it can be changed to be even better.

I am going to include Instant Client in an MSI installer for our application. What would be really great to have is Instant Client merge modules developed by Oracle and just include that in our MSI. One merge module per package, Basic, SQL Plus, ODBC ...
    The merge modules should handle the adding of directory to the PATH environment variable and registry entries for ODBC.
    As it is now we all have to invent the wheel our selves.

The second best would be to have good documentation about what odbc_install.exe and odbc_uninstall.exe does. That way I could make my MSI installer write the same changes to the registry. In prior versions of the Instant Client ODBC packages there was files named odbc_install.bat, odbc_uninstall.bat and by investigating the behavior of those I have concluded that there are some registry writing going on.
    You could argue that I should just call the odbc_install.exe from my MSI, in fact I don't have much else options at the moment, but that is not the "clean"/appropriate way to author MSI installers. Registry entries should be specified inside the MSI so that the Windows Installer engine can handle them in case of a rollback needs to be performed during the installation.

I suspect that the reason there is an odbc_install.exe is that there is some logic that must be executed before entries can be written to the registry. I hope that this locic can be implemented in a merge module.
  • 62. Re: Request for Comments and Experiences with Instant Client
    234233 Newbie
    11 yr developer/designer of custom Oracle databases. During those years I've installed the Oracle Client perhaps 80 times on personal and others' desktops. Every time, I shake my head and can't believe how big the thing is just to get database connectivity.

Then InstantClient is born!

I finally uninstalled all old 9i, 10g, XE databases and client software from my machine today. I get InstantClient 10.2.0.2 running. My tools (like PL/SQL Developer) work off it flawlessly. I'm excited; this will be great for support, QA, power users and others who only need SQL*Plus or connectivity for rare 2-tier access to issue queries, run a couple scripts, etc. Much less overhead, time wasted, headaches, etc. THANK YOU!

However, even for us developers, we could use InstantClient if you were to include just a few more executables.

What I'd like to see is an add-on, like the SQL*Plus add-on, that includes basic tools and message files so I can run exp, imp, sqlldr, tkprof and tnsping. That's it. That's what most Oracle developers need who aren't dipping into esoteric stuff like wallets, RAC, xml, java, etc.

bill coulam
  • 63. Re: Request for Comments and Experiences with Instant Client
    544917 Newbie
    Hi all,

I would like to mention that the Oracle Instant client is very handy piece of equipment to connect in a fast way to your Oracle database.

There is only one problem I have so far:

Connecting with Excel/VBA/ADO to the database I can select data but I cannot run a defined PL/SQL procedure. The same is working with a Microsoft Oracle ODBC driver on a real oracle client.

Does somebody has any idea how to solve the problem?

Thanks !!

Jeroen de Haas
  • 64. Re: Request for Comments and Experiences with Instant Client
    411278 Newbie
    is OLEDB now ever going to be in the instant client?

thx
  • 65. Re: Request for Comments and Experiences with Instant Client
    568514 Newbie
    Hi Everyone,

I am a bit confused as to whether Instant Client is compatible for MS OLEDB.

I am able to connect to DB using Instant Client and MS OracleClient Driver but my server doesnt have this file so i can not use this approach.

I have checked a Oracle document saying MS OLEDB to be compatible, here is the link to that page
    http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B12037_01/appdev.101/b10779/oci01int.htm

If somebody can help me with the steps if OLEDB is indeed compatible with Instant client then i would highly appretiate that.

regards,

John.
  • 66. Re: Request for Comments and Experiences with Instant Client
    zaferaktan Explorer
    Year 2011 and this request still not materialized. That will be great to have those additional add-ons in Instant Client as suggested. Please Oracle, listen the end users.

"What I'd like to see is an add-on, like the SQL*Plus add-on, that includes basic tools and message files so I can run exp, imp, sqlldr, tkprof and tnsping. That's it. That's what most Oracle developers need who aren't dipping into esoteric stuff like wallets, RAC, xml, java, etc."

R/Zaf
  • 67. Re: Request for Comments and Experiences with Instant Client
    176269 Newbie
    Setup environment as follows:

export TNS_ADMIN=/u01/app/oracle/tns_admin
    export ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle
    export ORACLE_HOME=${ORACLE_BASE}/product/11.1.0
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${ORACLE_HOME}
    export PATH=${PATH:-}:.:${ORACLE_HOME}

sqlplus xxxxxxxx/yyyyyyyyy@scnzz.nnn.com

SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Tue May 17 16:38:58 2011

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
    ORA-24315: illegal attribute type

What's wrong ?
    Why are there no instructions included for installation ?

Thanks
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next