This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2012 4:09 PM by Sree Menon RSS

Hyperion Planning business rules migrating to Calc Manager issue

961779 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
It was suggested I post this in calc manager as well, so I hope cross posting is allowed!

We are trying to migrate from Hyperion Planning 11.1.1.3 to 11.1.2.2

Our business rules were migrated to Calc Manager by our IT team. The rules run (for the most part).

Our main complaint about this migration is that it excluded our comments inside the business rules and added it's own!

When we first open the rule it is in graphical mode. But on the Script Tab I can see our orignal Business rule, but it's missing comments. Not all comments -- those at the top of the rule are intact, but after it starts getting into the meat of the rule, it loses many, but not all of the comments. When I chose to edit this rule in script mode, then calc manager adds tons if its own comments, making the code very junky to read.

So, multiple questions -- how do we get the migration of business rules to calc manager to stop losing our important comments. Is it possible to get the newly migrated rules to initially open in script mode rather than graphical mode so that it doesn't add it's own comments. Or is there a way to turn off the added commenting?

This is a snippet of our rule in 11.1.1.3:
FIX ("D0P000 Pushdown")
"Accrued Salaries and Wages Pushdown" = "BTL Accrued Sal & Wages Total"->"WBS_I19990_PLAN" * (D0P000->"Total Reg Labor" / "LMSS (LRP TEMPLATE LEVEL)"->"Total Reg Labor");
ENDFIX
/* FIX on account members that should be rolled up in the AGG statement below. */
FIX (@DESCENDANTS( "Orders"),

This is what it looks like when it comes up in graphical mode in Calc Mgr 11.1.2.2 (note that comment is already missing):
FIX ("D0P000 Pushdown")
"Accrued Salaries and Wages Pushdown" = "BTL Accrued Sal & Wages Total"->"WBS_I19990_PLAN" * (D0P000->"Total Reg Labor" / "LMSS (LRP TEMPLATE LEVEL)"->"Total Reg Labor");
ENDFIX
FIX (@DESCENDANTS( "Orders"),

This is what it looks like when it switches from graphical to script (bonus comments are added):
FIX ( /*DIM:Entities*/"D0P000 Pushdown")
/*STARTCOMPONENT:FORMULA*/
/*ENDCOMPONENT*/ ENDFIX
FIX ( /*DIM:Accounts*/@DESCENDANTS( "Orders"),

Thanks for any help.
Brenda
  • 1. Re: Hyperion Planning business rules migrating to Calc Manager issue
    Sree Menon Explorer
    Brenda,
    We are looking at this in the next release but would you be able to give us couple of your original calc scripts for our testing purpose? Once we fix this, we will port it back to 11.1.2.2. At this time, I can not give you timeline but will definitely look in to it.
    Could you send this to sreekumar.menon@oracle.com (also if possible attach the otl file for it?)
    Sree Menon
  • 2. Re: Hyperion Planning business rules migrating to Calc Manager issue
    964054 Newbie
    You might learn to appreciate graphical mode in Calc Manager, we do. It is not like the old Business Rules in EAS. I am an old school calc script person, and have NO love for drag-and-drop coding ... I need control. ;-)

Insert a blank script object and paste your code into the 'Script' tab for that object. Set up your prompts and use the {} notation in your code. All of the comments will stay put ... as long as you DON'T USE EDIT, SCRIPT! We make a fair number of generic, reusable pieces of code and save them as shared scripts. These can be dragged into Rules. Click on the Rule's Begin object and choose the Script tab ... you will see how the bits are assembled into complete calc script. We've even come up with a way to use LOOP ... ENDLOOP as though it were a procedural IF statement so we can control whether or not a chunk of code is active or not.

Shared scripts are especially good for currency translation components since we occasionally add new currencies and want to make a change in one object that is used in dozens of business rules.

Mike H.
  • 3. Re: Hyperion Planning business rules migrating to Calc Manager issue
    961779 Newbie
    Sorry Sree, I didn't see your response. ORacle has fixed this and delivered code to us and we have been able to test. Maybe you were the one working on it behind the scenes? :) Not sure when it will come out in an official patch, but we really appreciate that our rules come over now as script and that calc manager doesn't modify them.
  • 4. Re: Hyperion Planning business rules migrating to Calc Manager issue
    Sree Menon Explorer
    Yes. If you were from LM, then it was me one on the call. The patch is due at the end of the week and may be delivered begining of next week.
    ~Sree
  • 5. Re: Hyperion Planning business rules migrating to Calc Manager issue
    Sree Menon Explorer
    The patch for migrating from HBR to Calc Manager is posted.
    Oracle Hyperion Planning Release 11.1.2.2.000 Patch Set Update (PSU): 11.1.2.2.302 is available via My Oracle Support as Patch 14723831.
    Oracle Hyperion Calculation Manager Release 11.1.2.2.000 Patch Set Update (PSU): 11.1.2.2.301 is available via My Oracle Support as Patch 14669133.

With these pacthes, the HBR rules in script mode will come over to calc manager as script rules unlike the graphical ones before.
    Also, the macros will be converted to Calc Manager Templates.

The macro reference in a rule is changed in calc manager as %Template as it supports calling other objects via %Rule, %Script, %Formula etc.,
    -Sree Menon

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points