1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 4:00 PM by Dude! RSS

How can I attach a file to a post

Dude!
      I would like to attach a file to a how-to that I'm planing to post it in the Oracle forum. The file is a shell script that covers several pages and therefore won't make the how-to easier to read when part of the text.

I checked several free file hosting services, but all of them will automatically delete files that are not downloaded and they usually require a web browser to download. I previously asked a similar question: Is there a free user space for Oracle DBA freeware?
      Is there a free user space for Oracle DBA freeware?

The link to Oracle Samplecode redirects to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/indexes/samplecode/index.html. I can no longer locate any information about how to use the service. Anyway, I guess Oracle Samplecode might not be what I need, because if I remember correctly it wasn't a service where you could freely upload and provide files.

I guess I could gzip and use Unix/Linux xxd to add the hexcode to the end of my forum post, but I'd like to avoid that.

Are there any other ideas. I prefer not to start my own web page or blog. I just need to attach a small file to a forum post.

Thanks!

Edited by: Dude on Sep 13, 2012 2:28 AM
        • 1. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          AFAIK, the current forums software does not allow any attachments. There are rumors of a new version being rolled out, but the features available in this new version are unknown at this point.

I guess this does not help, but it is what it is.

What's the hesitation in starting your own blog ?

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
            jgarry
            Click on the FAQ on the upper right of this page. That gets you to a wiki that is the faq for this place. Click on the login, and after you login, you can drop down the tools menu that allows (edit: viewing) attachments. I don't know if there is some way to navigate and add a specific page, but poke around and see how far you get.

Edit: After poking around some, I found this notation:
            Only Oracle employees can request new spaces. To request a new space, click here (INTERNAL LINK). If you are not an employee, you can still have edit access to spaces. You just need to either contact the space owner, or leave a comment asking for edit access.
            Edited by: jgarry on Sep 13, 2012 1:14 PM
            • 3. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
              Dude!
              Thanks for the tip. After playing around for about 30 min. I finally ended up at https://wikis.oracle.com/display/Help/Home which indeed looks promising. However, as far as I understand, only Oracle Employees can own or create a oracle wiki space. I could ask an existing space owner to be able to edit the existing content, but I can't really see how I can use this to simply provide an attachment to a forum post and have it in between other major announcements among any of these big Oracle projects.
              • 4. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
                Dude!
                Good question. I think the problem is that I do not have experience with blogs. I will probably take some effort to get familiar with creating a blog, but I don't really want to blog. Can I just have a blog with no text, that only provides a file to download with no intention for discussion or feedback? It seems some people posting here at OTN have blogs at Wordpress.com. Is this because of people not knowing better, or is there a good reason for choosing Wordpress.com?
                • 5. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
                  Nicolas.Gasparotto
                  Any gmail account ? You could use "google docs" to share the docs as you whish, giving the link to the doc you want to share to public.

Nicolas.
                  • 6. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
                    Dude!
                    Yes, thanks for the tip. I looked at it in the past and just did some more tests to see what changed. Apparently Google docs uses Google Drive to share files. Unfortunatley it still does not work with Unix/Linux wget or curl commands to download a file from command prompt.
                    • 7. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
                      Dude!
                      I spent several hours trying to find a solution, so far without success. Here is what I was looking for:

- store a Linux shell script (15 KB) for public download
                      - reliable source
                      - retain my copyright and ownership
                      - no adds, no cockies or other annoying things.
                      - ability to download from command-line using wget ftp or http
                      - no automatic deletion if no downloads

After reviewing dozens of file and web hosting services I have to realize that such a service does not exist, not for free. I don't want to pay for gigabytes of storage and downloads and pay monthly fees.

Any more ideas?
                      • 8. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
                        Timo Hahn
                        I'm using WordPress to blog and to attach files to blog posts. You can't upload zip files directly but renaming them to doc works for me. I mention this in the blog posts so that the readers can rename the zip after downloading. If you upgrade (pray for more space) zip file are allowed.
                        You can upload files and only publish the link to the file In your how to.
                        WordPress is easy to setup and has nice free designs and better code formatting features then blogger. OK, as you don't want to blog the designs are not helping you.

Timo
                        • 9. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
                          BluShadow
                          Dude wrote:
                          - no adds, no cockies or other annoying things.
                          That's good to hear. :D
                          • 10. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
                            Dude!
                            After spending more hours of research, it seems I have finally found a service provider that meets my requirements:

https://www.dropbox.com/

I will have to get more experience and do more tests before recommending anything, but so far it seems to be the most promising service. It allows me to share up 2 GB of data for free. They have special client software that integrates a dropbox with your computer desktop, but you do not have to install it and can use the web interface to upload and maintain your files.

I uploaded a file into my personal "public" dropbox and can right-click it on the web interface to delete, rename, etc. and get the public download link, which also works with Unix wget. Very nice.

Regarding file ownership they state that they do not claim any ownership and that you do not give them rights to your stuff or intellectual property.

They do/may however delete inactive accounts after 90 days without notice, so I have to set my alarm clock. They do use the usual cockies for my account, but apparently nothing unusual or nasty according to the terms of use. I did not find any statements that limit usage, etc.
                            • 11. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
                              Srini Chavali-Oracle
                              This related article may help too - http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/dropbox-will-simplify-your-life/

HTH
                              Srini
                              • 12. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
                                Brianw-Oracle
                                There is no option to attach a file in forums and no option for any external user to upload files on any other Oracle site. It is simply too much security risk to allow, so it has all been disabled on every platform
                                • 13. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
                                  Srini Chavali-Oracle
                                  Thanks - is this also the planned direction in the new version of the forums software ?

Srini
                                  • 14. Re: How can I attach a file to a post
                                    Dkildahl -Oracle
                                    Yes it is. This isn't technical, this is Oracle Security and Legal.
                                    1 2 Previous Next