5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 7:53 AM by Me_101

faster restore/recover backup

Me_101
      Hi gurus,

I'm working in a Oracle database 11.2.0.3 on Redhat 5.3.

I doing a restore/recover backup daily to a test database from production database. This restore/recover waste too much time, around 12-13 hours. Now my boss want a faster restore/recover.

I was thinking in 2 options:

1) Activate rman Parallel, but we need Enterprise edition:

RMAN-06908: WARNING: operation will not run in parallel on the allocated channels
      RMAN-06909: WARNING: parallelism require Enterprise Edition

2) Change backup politic from production database. Now we do full backups daily, with incrementals backups the restore on test database will be faster, but im not too sure that my boss want.

my question is: what other options i have? (without modify hardware)

thanks
        • 1. Re: faster restore/recover backup
          kuljeet singh -
          whats the size of your database.
          Now my boss want a faster restore/recover.
          implement DR setup.
          • 2. Re: faster restore/recover backup
            Me_101
            HI Kuljeet and thanks for reply,

My database is around 360G, the backup files is around 50G.

i don't really understand DR, it means Disaster Recovery?

I need to restore to Test database the Original database backups, i have no other choice :(
            • 3. Re: faster restore/recover backup
              kuljeet singh -
              Me_101 wrote:
              HI Kuljeet and thanks for reply,

My database is around 360G, the backup files is around 50G.
              it should not take that much time for restoration for 50GB backup.
              can you check load avg,idle cpu on test server as if test server is too loaded then it will impact the restoration as well.
              I doing a restore/recover backup daily to a test database from production database.
              whats the exact purpose of this restoration? are you opening this database for developer or just doing restore-recovery.

Edited by: Kuljeet Pal Singh on Sep 13, 2012 5:51 PM
              • 4. Re: faster restore/recover backup
                Levi Pereira
                Hi,
                I doing a restore/recover backup daily to a test database from production database. This restore/recover waste too much time, around 12-13 hours. Now my boss want a faster restore/recover.
                my question is: what other options i have?
                Incrementally Updated Backups: Rolling Forward Image Copies of Data Files

RMAN enables you to apply level 1 incremental backups to an older image copy of your data files. You can roll forward the copy to the point in time of the most recent level 1 incremental backup. All blocks changed since the image copy was created are overwritten with their new contents as of the time of the last level 1 incremental backup. The effect is to roll forward the file in time, so that its contents are equivalent, for the purposes of database recovery, to an image copy of the data file made at the time of the last incremental level 1 backup.

Incorporating incrementally updated backups into your backup strategy shortens expected recovery times. Media recovery to the present time or to a point in time in the recent past can begin at the time of the last level 1 backup applied, rather than at the time of the last full database backup.

You will need double of space on disk. Every feature of high availability have cost you have to pay for it, in this case will be area on storage.

See this example:
                http://www.oracle-class.com/?p=2064

Regards,
                Levi Pereira

Edited by: Levi Pereira on Sep 13, 2012 11:29 AM
                • 5. Re: faster restore/recover backup
                  Me_101
                  Thanks for reply guys,

@Kuljeet
                  That server only has the database and noone are using it. That server is too old machine and i think this is the problem, but i will try again another restore/recover to check the status of the server, i/o,....
                  whats the exact purpose of this restoration? are you opening this database for developer or just doing restore-recovery.
                  initially it will only use for check rman backups and be sure that we can restore/recover at production database with this backups, but I guess that will be used for test in special cases.

@levi
                  thanks for the explication, i was thinking about it but need to know if I have another choices.