This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2013 12:11 PM by user467396 - oracle RSS

Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface

user467396 - oracle Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
After reading:
Does Oracle Linux Rel.6 have graphical capabilities

How do you install the GUI for Oracle Linux Rel 6?
  • 1. Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
    Dude! Guru
    At which step on the installation are you?

If you are still at the initial installation using the OS installation DVD:

When you see the window to select the set of software to install, leave Basic Server selected, but choose the Customize now ratio button and press the Next button to continue. Select Desktops on the left side of the window. Select at least the X Window System, Fonts and Desktop packages. To get a similar Desktop like in previous Enterprise Linux releases, add the General Purpose Desktop and Graphical Administration Tools packages.

If you are past the initial installation and have restarted the system from your harddrive, issue the following commands as root:

<pre>
    yum groupinstall "X Window System" Desktop "General Purpose Desktop" \
    "Graphical Administration Tools" "Legacy X Window System compatibility"

init 5

sed -i 's|id:3:initdefault:|id:5:initdefault:|g' /etc/inittab
    shutdown -r now

</pre>
  • 2. Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
    933774 Newbie
    Hm... very good, it solved a similar problem of mine (not being used to use YUM. Yes, take that, Debian user).

Anyway: Tell me, what does your sed command accomplishes? Wouldn't it be easier to just reboot now?

As a free tip for the begginer: I had to restart the server after my previous Xorg installation didn't work - yet I have forgotten to restart the DHCP client, which is ridiculous, but anyway:

$dhclient eth1

The above solves it.
  • 3. Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
    Dude! Guru
    The sed command is used to change the default runlevel from 3 to 5 to start the graphical Desktop automatically at the next system restart. You can also use the vi editor to make the change, but not everyone is familiar basic file editing under Unix/Linux.
  • 4. Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Dude wrote:
    You can also use the vi editor to make the change, but not everyone is familiar basic file editing under Unix/Linux.
    Such a person has no place installing and configuring any Unix-based operation system. There is a minimum set of requirements required to install and configure Unix/Linux. And having a basic knowledge on how to use vi to edit a file, is one of them.

"Political correctness" wrt o/s installation and configuration does not hold water. It is not a task intended for the o/s illiterate. Discrimination in this case is a fact - and requires one to step up and educate oneself for the task. Just like driving a vehicle does not make one qualified to drive a F1GP car.
  • 5. Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
    Dude! Guru
    Discrimination is generally bad and does not fight unawareness or ignorance. I have no idea if the OP is up to the task. The OP may have been in dire need to find a solution and a simple sed command is easier than to explain vi. I have no doubt that the OP either knows vi or may have to learn vi in the future, or finds other ways to edit files.

Edited by: Dude on Oct 29, 2012 7:08 AM
  • 6. Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
    933774 Newbie
    There are many ways to deploy the packages, @Billy, I think lack knowledge of vi (or any app) does not make one *nix illiterate. However, I can't see how your post helps. If you want people to get educated to read your so-called "F1 car", please point to sources of information. Even if it is a link to Let Me Google For You.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  • 7. Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
    Dude! Guru
    Billy is apparently a Linux enthusiast and even runs Linux on his toaster according to previous threads.

<pre>
    toast -nosheez -breadsize 50132 -eject -o z3321 > /dev/toast ;-)
    </pre>

But seriously, I could not imagine to maintain any Unix system without knowing basic vi, which is probably as backward and proprietary than nothing else that it still in use.

However, I see no reason to brag about being able to use command line. It's actually somewhat pathetic considering 2012. I'd say the days were expensive hardware resources and slow network was a good excuse for a less resource demanding serial/text based interfaces are long gone.

A good GUI is more fun and less prone to typing mistakes and thereby can be more efficient compared to command line. X Window had many cooks in the past and sure is a complex modular design that is difficult to grasp. Perhaps it explains some lack of GUI acceptance in the Unix world, but I think it's also true that a good GUI interface requires a skillset that the avarage Unix software developer may not have.

Unfortunately, for the last several years, the Desktop GUI development of many computer platforms has gone mini full screen and Disney-World with the average consumer household in mind. Funny enough, there is a large influence by the design concepts of Apple products, perhaps even without knowing, but some copy for sure. However, even Apple is no longer what is used to be 10 years ago.

I wonder what the future of system administration might be in 10 years from now. Will corporations still have server rooms, or will it all be in the cloud controlled and managed by big computer corporations, regulations and subscriptions? Perhaps private RAM and storage will one day become illegal property and facebook will manage everyones personal profile ;-) So far Linux looks good though.

Edited by: Dude on Oct 30, 2012 10:52 AM
  • 8. Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
    Iridur wrote:
    There are many ways to deploy the packages, @Billy, I think lack knowledge of vi (or any app) does not make one *nix illiterate. However, I can't see how your post helps. If you want people to get educated to read your so-called "F1 car", please point to sources of information. Even if it is a link to Let Me Google For You.
    My response was not aimed at you. I was talking to Dude.

Dude and I have been having this type of conversation in numerous threads on OTN - I being the "conservative" and he being the "liberal" wrt how one approach o/s administration and management.

My basic point is that there are times when the only interface you have to get into a *nix o/s to troubleshoot and fix something, is via the command line (at times over a link of several 1000's of km). Heck, the final connection to the server  even could be a 9600 serial connection via a management port. Which means no way of running any type of GUI - and thus no crutch to prop up an administrator with a lack of command line knowledge. (speaking here from personal experience of many years of doing o/s support)

Personally - I would not employ a person as a sysadmin that does not know the command line fairly well. And this includes Windows sysadmins.
  • 9. Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
    Dude! Guru
    I'm glad you did not take my remark to call you a Linux enthusiast in bad way. It certainly was not meant to be a bad comment, but it's was probably silly of me to make such a remark anyway. I guess I strive to be liberal, but by definition I don't think I really fit into any political wing.

Back to Linux and your example, I have used such interfaces for many years too. Unfortunately we often have to use what is provided. However, the reason for the text interface is no longer valid, unless your input device is only a text based terminal. I think there is nothing against a GUI app that runs on your PC to sends appropriate commands to a text interface over a slow serial link, apart from the effort that is required to interact with errors, etc.
  • 10. Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
    Dude wrote:
    I'm glad you did not take my remark to call you a Linux enthusiast in bad way. It certainly was not meant to be a bad comment, but it's was probably silly of me to make such a remark anyway.
    I do not take personally offence easily in a forum like this. No, if you want to offend me, post poor code and claim it as the best thing since slice bread. ;-)
    I guess I strive to be liberal, but by definition I don't think I really fit into any political wing.
    Likewise. Find politics a necessary evil to keep abreast of - such as the election in the US.
    Back to Linux and your example, I have used such interfaces for many years too. Unfortunately we often have to use what is provided. However, the reason for the text interface is no longer valid, unless your input device is only a text based terminal.
    Not as much the input device - heck, pure tty devices are pretty much a thing of the past. It is about the complexity of the infrastructure between you and the device you need to administer. And about the task you need to perform.

The connectivity can mean being unable to run a GUI - due to performance, firewalls, router configurations and so on. The task at hand could very well be easily done, using the relevant o/s commands via a command line interface.
    I think there is nothing against a GUI app that runs on your PC to sends appropriate commands to a text interface over a slow serial link, apart from the effort that is required to interact with errors, etc.
    Much more complex than that. A terminal server is usually used - and it attaches to the serial/RS232 connections of multiple devices that need to be administered. It will typically reside on a separate management network too, and not on the local company/corporate intranet.

So for you to access a device to administer, you need an open firewall to the management network to reach the management server that handles the serial console connection for the device you want to administer. You need a valid o/s account on that terminal server. You need to use ssh to access the command line of that terminal server. You need to enter the relevant command that will attach your ssh session to the RS232 console connection to the device to administer.

There is no GUI app on your side that can not only automagically do all this for you, but also provide you with GUI admin widgets to send commands to the remote device. Even if that remote device being sysadmin'ed is Linux, different distros and different versions of the same distros, means different commands, variances in command line parameters for such commands, and so on.

A sysadmin that cannot deal with such situations, and need a GUI as a crutch to administer a device.. I for one will not call that person a sysadmin. I would call the person incompetent instead. Harsh views perhaps, but being sysadmin is an unforgiving job. A mistake, or inability to access a device and fix it using the bare minimum, could result in severe financial loss for the company.
  • 11. Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
    Dude! Guru
    You are describing a very specific situation and defend the command line interface. I agree with you that command line is often an effective solution and requirement, specifically under Unix, but I do not agree that command line is the best interface.

For many of us, I guess the way how we use computers and what we expect has fundamentally changed over the past 20 years. There is a new generation of system administrators and users who want a GUI interface. People do not want to read a manual or study some command syntax to learn how to configure a firewall, for example, and why should they? The desire for a GUI usually rises with complexity and the need to do more with less effort. Take Oracle EM Grid or the Universal Installer for example.

Btw, I managed different brands of terminal servers and communication devices myself in the past and developed application interfaces for them. As technology advanced, communication via leased line, satellite and RS-232/422 was finally replaced by the Internet, which introduced new problems, but made management more ergonomic and easier. Some of the newer devices had a very good web interface to manage and setup. Guess which ones I liked the most.
  • 12. Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
    user467396 - oracle Newbie

startx throws an error "could not open default font fixed" so looks like its still missing xfont server:

yum install libXfont

yum install xorg-x11-xfs

yum install xorg-x11-xfs-utils

yum install xorg-x11-xinit

yum install xorg-x11-xdm