3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 1:43 PM by phaeus RSS

Standalone Grid Infrastucture without using it

John Spencer
      I have a new standalone server (AIX 7.1 if it matters) that will eventually be connected to a SAN, but it willl be several weeks before the SAN is provisioned and the project needs to get started. Once the SAN is provisioned we will want to use ASM and the rest of the but for now, all we have is local disk.

My plan is to do a software only install of the Grid Infrastructure and the 11.2.0.3 database software, then create the database on the local disk without configuring the Grid Infrastructure. Based on the documents I have read, this seems possible to me. Is it?

I have read a couple of documents on MOS and the Install Guides, and it appears to me that, assuming I can actually do this, once we get the SAN, the process would be something like:

Shutdown the database
      Manually configure Grid Infrastructure and ASM
      Add the existing database to the Grid Infrastucture using svrctl add database
      Follow the steps in MOS note 252219.1 to migrate the database form file system files to ASM.

Does this sound reasonable, or have I horribly misunderstood something or missed something important?

Are there any other good MOS links or other on-line resources available?

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

John
        • 1. Re: Standalone Grid Infrastucture without using it
          phaeus
          Hello,
          this is no Problem.
          You install Oracle Grid for Standalone Server which Install you "Oracle Restart" the last step here is to start the root.sh which told you in the Output how to configure it "its only to start one script"
          Configure Oracle Restart without ASM und if you create the Database using DBCA it will create a Database Service in Oracle Restart.
          Afterwards if you want this, you can create a ASM Instanz with asmca and copy your database to it (rman copy database).

hope this helps...

regards
          Peter
          • 2. Re: Standalone Grid Infrastucture without using it
            John Spencer
            Peter:

Yes, it helps. So, if I am understanding correctly, I can install the Grid Infrastructure and just skip the steps for configuring ASM. At the end of the install, I will have Restart, but no ASM. I should them be able to install the database software and create a non-ASM database. Later I can configure ASM and move the database to the ASM instance.

Thanks
            John
            • 3. Re: Standalone Grid Infrastucture without using it
              phaeus
              Hello,
              yes you are right.
              Just a note. Also if you did not use ASM, you can confiure your Database with Oracle Restart (so it wil be started at server startup automaticly). In this case don`t forget to configure the ASM Diskgroup dependency when you move your database to ASM.

regards
              Peter