This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 2:33 PM by 300230 RSS

2 Node RAC

300230 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,
We have Oracle 10.1.0.4 two node RAC on Windows 2003 32 bit server on two separate servers (no ASM no virtual).

We want to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit.
Current Version of Oracle to 11g.
Two Node RAC (NO ASM, NO VIRTUAL).

Any links or documentation specific to our requirement will help.

Thanks.

Habeeb
  • 1. Re: 2 Node RAC
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    If the upgrade is to 64bit, why not consider using Linux? It is a significantly better choice as a cluster o/s than Windows*. And cheaper.

ASM is pretty much mandatory. It serves as both storage manager for both Grid (OCR and voting disks/files), and RAC (database files, RMAN backups). And it has a ACFS which provides a cooked cluster file system for the operating system to use. ASM has a number of features that are critical for managing cluster storage. I would not use Grid and RAC without ASM. Oracle also recommends using ASM.

As for upgrading - that in itself it not really possible as you cannot upgrade a 32bit o/s to 64bit, or 32bit RAC s/w to 64bit. A new build/install is needed. I would assume that the database itself can be upgraded as that would be primarily an Oracle version upgrade.

<i>* Oracle's RAC products like Database Appliance and Exadata Database Machine, support Linux and not Windows. 462 (92.4%) of the 500 largest and fastest computer clusters on this planet, runs Linux. Only 2 of these use Windows (0.4%) RAC is a share everything cluster technology. It would be silly to use Windows as o/s for that technology and not Linux, without very solid and very sound reasons.

(stats as per o/s family stats for June 2012 from www.top500.org)</i>
  • 2. Re: 2 Node RAC
    300230 Newbie
    Thanks Billy,

I heard you... but we have certain limitations, First of all us DBA's we do not have any experience with RAC and then SA knows only windows.
    After reading your reply I think I have to change my plan into two phases.
    Current set up.
    Oracle Release 10.1.0.4.2
    OS. Windows 2003 Standard (32 bit)
    Size of Database almost 1 T
    Using Grid
    RAC on two different servers.
    No ASM.

Reason for change is Database performance is very low, there is very little we can do if the server memory is only 3.75 G.

Phase One:
    Keep every thing as is except change the OS from 32 bit to 64 bit so that the memory can increase upto 32 G, its a big change will give us some time.
    Two new servers (which we have) Install RAC, Oracle same version, use Grid and no ASM.

Phase Two:
    Upgrade to 11g

The only thing is that I search but could not find any document for installing RAC on two seperate servers (64 bit 2003), they are either ASM or Oracle Cluster or Virtual.
    I did found some links and documentation on moving from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Any help is appriciated.

Habeeb
  • 3. Re: 2 Node RAC
    Habeeb wrote:

Phase One:
    Keep every thing as is except change the OS from 32 bit to 64 bit so that the memory can increase upto 32 G, its a big change will give us some time.
    Keep in mind that 32bit s/w cannot natively address that much memory. You need to configure 32bit Oracle for PAE and AWE extensions in order to address more memory than what the default Win32 memory manager allows. But are these extensions not only applicable to a Win32 kernel? Does a Win64 kernel supports memory extensions for Win32 virtual machines running in it?
    Two new servers (which we have) Install RAC, Oracle same version, use Grid and no ASM.
    Phase Two:
    Upgrade to 11g

The only thing is that I search but could not find any document for installing RAC on two seperate servers (64 bit 2003), they are either ASM or Oracle Cluster or Virtual.
    I did found some links and documentation on moving from 32 bit to 64 bit.
    Not using ASM would be a mistake. Yesterday I moved a production database (RAC) from an old SAN to a new SAN. Database downtime? 0 seconds. Thanks to ASM.

You are seriously misjudging the importance and feature set of ASM, by making the call of not using ASM based on perception and not facts.
  • 4. Re: 2 Node RAC
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Hi,
    RAC on Windows and No ASM? What s/w cluster you will use to provide the cluster filesystem?

It makes no sense you configure two (since Oracle Clusterware is mandatory) cluster software to deploy a RAC environment.
    Grid Infrastructure (Oracle Clusterware) already provides everything you need to you deploy a RAC env including Cluster Filesystem.

P.S: OCFS is deprecated.

Regards,
    Levi Pereira
  • 5. Re: 2 Node RAC
    Levi Pereira wrote:

P.S: OCFS is deprecated.
    .. for Oracle RAC and Grid.

It is not a deprecated product and is on the same par as other cluster based file systems like GFS for example. Right?

I do not see the OCFS Open Source project (https://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/) being canned.
  • 6. Re: 2 Node RAC
    300230 Newbie
    Thanks Billy and Levi...
    As I told you I do not know all about RAC, what is Oracles Clusters, ASM and etc...Yesterday I asked my DBA and he confirmed that we are using Grid but we do not have ASM and no Virtual, the RAC is on two physical servers. This is the current situation, now taking your advice what would be the best approach.
    Should we keep the Oracle version as is and just update the servers from 32 to 64 bit or should we upgrade Oracle to 11g also.
    Keeping my skills and the DBA who is much more qualified then me but with no RAC experience can you refer any document that can guide us step by step. I do not want to get help from our support as they are charging us very high and I do not have that many hours left (part of the contract). I want to take up the task and do it but before I step in I want to cover everything. One last question, for a DBA with RAC experience how much time will this project take?

Thanks

Habeeb
  • 7. Re: 2 Node RAC
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi Billy,

Levi is referring to OCFS on WINDOWS, which is deprecated.

He is not referring to OCFS2 on Linux and this is the one you linked.

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 8. Re: 2 Node RAC
    Ah - thanks Sebastian. That clears the confusion on my side.

You said Windows - what is that? ;-)
  • 9. Re: 2 Node RAC
    Habeeb wrote:

Keeping my skills and the DBA who is much more qualified then me but with no RAC experience can you refer any document that can guide us step by step. I do not want to get help from our support as they are charging us very high and I do not have that many hours left (part of the contract). I want to take up the task and do it but before I step in I want to cover everything. One last question, for a DBA with RAC experience how much time will this project take?
    Cannot comment on installing Grid and RAC on Windows - have done it a number of times on Linux.

It should not take more than a day or too. The Grid Infrastructure is pretty straight forward on Linux - provides the server nodes have been correct configured as far as shared storage and the Interconnect are concerned. In other words, same cluster storage devices seen on each server node. Interconnect up, running and working between server nodes.

Then it is a fairly simple matter of creating the grid o/s user, configuring passwordless/trusted ssh access between server nodes for this user, and then installing Grid.

Grid install asks questions such as the names of the clustered storage devices for creating the ASM diskgroup to use for OCR and voting files, the names of the public and private interfaces, and the virtual IP and SCAN addresses (and hostnames) to use.

If the server nodes have been correctly prepared, this should be easy and a no-brainer.

Once Grid Infrastructure is completed, RAC can be installed (I always do the db create as a separate step from the installation). If the oracle o/s account and cross node ssh access have been correctly configured - it is as easy to install.

The Linux installer also checks prerequisites such as kernel configuration and o/s software modules needed. And provide "fix it" scripts where possible for correcting kernel config settings for example, before continuing with the install.

All this is covered in the installation manauls. Best practises/RAC cookbooks are also provided via Oracle Support (https://support.oracle.com). These should be consulted before hand and during the installation.
  • 10. Re: 2 Node RAC
    300230 Newbie
    Hi Guys,

I took your advice had to convince my boss, and now we have decided to install RAC on 2008 windows with ASM.
    The Question asked by the SA is how many disks and what sizes do you need?

We have a database size of 800GB and the size on SAN is 1TB.

I have read the document but I am still confused any help is appriciated.
    Some of documents I read are as below.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/d/8/9d823991-afe9-47b5-8f71-3dd6237b28e6/RAC%2520Installation%2520Lab.ppt&sa=U&ei=F691UIDUJqnt0gGx_oGoDw&ved=0CBYQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNFDO4HJsHtzRERkzknDj4nieSeZDg

http://www.orafaq.com/papers/tuning_asm.pdf

Thanks.

Habeeb
  • 11. Re: 2 Node RAC
    Best sources are the ASM manual and Oracle support notes for the relevant version being used.

As for best disk size - ASM does not support SAN LUNs that exceed 2TB in size. Also keep in mind that ASM stripes across multiple LUNs in the same diskgroup. ASM also provides redundancy and external redundancy options.

So the question of how many LUNs and what sizes depends on what RAID levels the existing LUNs are, and what you want to implement on the Oracle side. Do you want redundancy on the ASM side? Do you want an acfs file system and a separate (non redundant) diskgroup? Etc.

Also keep in mind that Oracle recommends a diskgroup with a quorom fail group for the OCR and Voting disks/files created by Grid.

Have you read the documentation? E.g.
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e22489/storage.htm (this is for Linux - there will be similar docs for Windows)
  • 12. Re: 2 Node RAC
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    I took your advice had to convince my boss, and now we have decided to install RAC on 2008 windows with ASM.
    The Question asked by the SA is how many disks and what sizes do you need?
    We have a database size of 800GB and the size on SAN is 1TB.
    About ASM:

Read it:
    {message:id=9676881}
    {message:id=10608636}

About how to configure Luns on your Storage.

Ask to your SA to find try any document of your storage vendor with best pratices to ASM. Like this below:

http://levipereira.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/best_practices_runing_rac_asm_ds4800_storage.pdf
  • 13. Re: 2 Node RAC
    300230 Newbie
    Thanks both Bill and Levi,

Sorry could not reply earlier...

But I will check the sites you suggested.

Thanks again and I will update as we move ahead, one of the things we decided today is to go with Oracle 11g.

Thanks again...

Habeeb
  • 14. Reg Voting disk
    973384 Newbie
    Could you give me the reson behind why Striping is not for Voting Disk .
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points