2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2012 2:06 PM by Linux-RAC-Admin RSS

ASM Disk Remove/Add Question

Linux-RAC-Admin
      Hello All,

I have a quick question -

We have an ASM Diskgroup that had 8 Disks in it. I removed 2 Diskss and the Diskgroup has been rebalanced. I have not done anything with the removed Disks.

They both appear in the ASM target as eligble to add back into the Diskgroup.

Do I need to re-format/partition/create disk on them before adding them back in? Would existing data on the Diskl cause an issue in the Diskgroup?

This is the first time I will be adding back Disks that have been previously in the Diskgroup.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Michele
        • 1. Re: ASM Disk Remove/Add Question
          Levi Pereira
          Hi,

Disks eligible to be assigned to a diskgroup must have the status "CANDIDATE" or "FORMER" or "PROVISIONED".

· CANDIDATE - Disk is not part of a disk group and may be added to a disk group with the ALTER DISKGROUP statement

· PROVISIONED - Disk is not part of a disk group and may be added to a disk group with the ALTER DISKGROUP statement. The PROVISIONED header status is different from the
          CANDIDATE header status in that PROVISIONED implies that an additional platform-specific action has been taken by an administrator to make the disk available for ASM.

· FORMER - Disk was once part of a disk group but has been dropped cleanly from the group. It may be added to a new disk group with the ALTER DISKGROUP statement.

The ALTER DISKGROUP...DROP DISK without WAIT option statement returns before the drop and rebalance operations are complete. Do not reuse, remove, or disconnect the dropped disk until the HEADER_STATUS column for this disk in the V$ASM_DISK view changes to FORMER.

You don't need change anything on OS Level. Oracle will reuse asmdisk dropped without needs perform any administrative task on OS Level.

Regards,
          Levi Pereira
          • 2. Re: ASM Disk Remove/Add Question
            Linux-RAC-Admin
            Thank you for the Quick Reply!