This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2012 1:15 AM by 817264 RSS

.jnlp file association

962917 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We have a JNLP application. A recent Java7 upgrade seems to have removed the file association between javaws.exe and .jnlp files. We have experienced this on multiple client machines. On one, Windows would not all us to create the association through the normal means of "Open With...".

Is this a known issue?
  • 1. Re: .jnlp file association
    944421 Newbie
    Did you get around this? I'm experiencing the same issue, after update 7, jnlp files refuse to launch.
  • 2. Re: .jnlp file association
    962917 Newbie
    Nope.
  • 3. Re: .jnlp file association
    944421 Newbie
    Bugger. It's driving me up the wall and it doesn't help that I don't know much about all this java crap.
  • 4. Re: .jnlp file association
    962917 Newbie
    I think it was a problems with the last Java 7 installer. Looks like it's going to be fixed in update 5.

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7181916
    http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7166335

Our workaround was to update the registry manually (obligatory warning about doing this on your machine!)
    Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\javaws.exe\shell\open\command

Then edit that value to point to a 32-bit javaws.exe – this one happens to be in the jre7 folder:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaws.exe" "%1"
  • 5. Re: .jnlp file association
    817264 Journeyer
    Our workaround was to update the registry manually (obligatory warning about doing this on your machine!)
    Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\javaws.exe\shell\open\command

Then edit that value to point to a 32-bit javaws.exe – this one happens to be in the jre7 folder:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaws.exe" "%1"
    In addition to this check if there is association for .jnlp in the HKCU branch. If you ever tried "Open with" then windows will add association to user branch and it will hide system wide settings.

Good way to troubleshoot this is to use Process Monitor from sysinternals.com and inspect what .jnlp related registry keys are read.

Please file a bug if you can find a way to reproduce a problem or will find out what exactly is wrong in the registry.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points