3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2012 4:16 AM by 963024 RSS

Basic questions about installing ASM

Terry Phelps
      I can't seem to find definitive answers to the following. Let me try here. I want to build a Linux server, running RDBMS 11.2.0.3, with ASM. This is just the prototype server, in our conversion from Oracle 11g on AIX without ASM to Oracle 11g on Linux with ASM.

I already have an Oracle VM cluster running, and have built a number of VMs from templates, and all that works fine. Now I'm trying to install ASM, and have failed several times. Maybe I'm doing something fundamentally bad. Here are two questions:

1. Is it true that the only (reasonable) way to install ASM is to install the product called "Grid Infrastructure"? As best I can tell, the answer is "yes". But GI seems to be so much more than ASM, much that I don't think I want or need. Is there an easier way to get ASM?

2. The certification matrix swears that Grid Infrastructure 11.2.0.3 is certified on Oracle Linux 6. Yet (1) I see many posts on OTN and elsewhere on the net that say it is NOT supported, and that there are mant problems in gettng the installation to work, and (2) I have been trying to install on OEL 6, and can't get the installer to complete. Specifically, the root.sh script fails with "ohasd has failed to start...". Before pursuing my installation problems any more, I just want to make sure: Should this install on OEL 6?
        • 1. Re: Basic questions about installing ASM
          Levi Pereira
          Terry Phelps wrote:
          I can't seem to find definitive answers to the following. Let me try here. I want to build a Linux server, running RDBMS 11.2.0.3, with ASM. This is just the prototype server, in our conversion from Oracle 11g on AIX without ASM to Oracle 11g on Linux with ASM.

I already have an Oracle VM cluster running, and have built a number of VMs from templates, and all that works fine. Now I'm trying to install ASM, and have failed several times. Maybe I'm doing something fundamentally bad. Here are two questions:

1. Is it true that the only (reasonable) way to install ASM is to install the product called "Grid Infrastructure"? As best I can tell, the answer is "yes". But GI seems to be so much more than ASM, much that I don't think I want or need. Is there an easier way to get ASM?
          ASM is a feature of Oracle Grid Infrastructure Installation. So you will need Install GI to use ASM.

There is one GI installation wich can be installed and configured in two different way. For a Cluster or For a Standalone.

This Options must be choosen during installation.

The GI installation for a Standalone is called Oracle Restart.

The GI installation for a Cluster is called Oracle Clusterware.

Both option above have the ASM feature.
          2. The certification matrix swears that Grid Infrastructure 11.2.0.3 is certified on Oracle Linux 6. Yet (1) I see many posts on OTN and elsewhere on the net that say it is NOT supported, and that there are mant problems in gettng the installation to work, and (2) I have been trying to install on OEL 6, and can't get the installer to complete. Specifically, the root.sh script fails with "ohasd has failed to start...". Before pursuing my installation problems any more, I just want to make sure: Should this install on OEL 6?
          Many users here on OTN tried to install Grid Infrastructure on RHEL6/OEL6 when it was not certified. So many issues show up.

After it was certified by Oracle there are several notes on MOS that will help you follow important steps for a successful installation.

I think you should use OEL 6, since Oracle Linux 6 was Certified by Oracle Corporation you have all support on this product.

Start with this note : *Master Note of Linux OS Requirements for Database Server [ID 851598.1]*

*Database Client or Database Server Install on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (RHEL6) or Oracle Linux 6 [ID 1350000.1]*

http://levipereira.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/certification-of-the-oracle-database-on-oracle-linux-6-and-red-hat-enterprise-linux-6/
          • 2. Re: Basic questions about installing ASM
            Terry Phelps
            Thank you for what seems to be a thorough answer to my questions. I will consults the documents you mentioned.
            • 3. Re: Basic questions about installing ASM
              just study!!