This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 5:43 AM by 719374 RSS

Configure Hyperion 11.1.2.2 using Hyperion 11.1.2.1 SQL databases

730611 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Good day all,

Our company is planning to upgrade our Hyperion products from 11.1.2.1 to 11.1.2.2 next year. Currently, we are exploring the possible options on how to do the upgrade. One option that we are looking into is :

Using the databases we used to configure 11.1.2.1, we will restore those databases to the 11.1.2.2 instance, and configure 11.1.2.2 using those databases by selecting "Connect to a previously configured database" in the configurator.

May I know if this approach could possibly work?

Your advise is deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: Configure Hyperion 11.1.2.2 using Hyperion 11.1.2.1 SQL databases
    JohnGoodwin Oracle ACE
    Are you using the same hardware, if so then you would run the installer and select apply maintenance release, the configurator should show all the pending tasks and you would connect to a previously configure database.

Cheers

John
    http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
  • 2. Re: Configure Hyperion 11.1.2.2 using Hyperion 11.1.2.1 SQL databases
    730611 Newbie
    Hello John,

Thanks for your response.

We will be using the exact same hardware specs for 11.1.2.2. However, we can't choose the "Apply Maintenance Release" since Oracle verified that there is no roll back in doing this. Our operations policy requires a rollback procedure so the said option is not applicable.

The plan is have both 11.1.2.1 and 11.1.2.2 instances run in parallel for a month then we decide whether to use 11.1.2.2 and decommission 11.1.2.1, or rollback to 11.1.2.1.
  • 3. Re: Configure Hyperion 11.1.2.2 using Hyperion 11.1.2.1 SQL databases
    Pablo Journeyer
    I haven't tried that but I would also backup the user_projects folders so if you decide to rollback to 11.1.2.1 you can restore those folders as well as the DB

Pablo
  • 4. Re: Configure Hyperion 11.1.2.2 using Hyperion 11.1.2.1 SQL databases
    JohnGoodwin Oracle ACE
    Pablo wrote:
    I haven't tried that but I would also backup the user_projects folders so if you decide to rollback to 11.1.2.1 you can restore those folders as well as the DB

Pablo
    Are you meaning on the same hardware, if so it is all the products that get upgraded and middleware components so there is no easy rollback.

Cheers

John
    http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
  • 5. Re: Configure Hyperion 11.1.2.2 using Hyperion 11.1.2.1 SQL databases
    Pablo Journeyer
    That's a good point, he would have to backup the entire Middleware folder in order to rollback the EPMSystem11R1 folder, I think it's not a good idea overall.
  • 6. Re: Configure Hyperion 11.1.2.2 using Hyperion 11.1.2.1 SQL databases
    730611 Newbie
    Thanks John and Pablo for the responses.

Just an update regarding my findings:

I tried to make this work for a couple of days now. Still no avail. The problem is that during the diagnostic phase (Configuration went fine), most of the components failed. I installed and configure the following: Foundation, CalcManager, Essbase Server, EAS, APS, Planning, HFM, FDM, and RA.

I'm getting the message "Make sure the application is started" when I run the diagnostic. That is, even all the services are started.

One consistent issue I found in the Essbase_ODL log file is "User native://DN=cn=911,ou=People,dc=css,dc=hyperion,dc=com?USER does not exist". I'm thinking that this is due to the fact that by default, Essbase is configured to use Internal authentication (ADMIN username), but the Shared Services database we used in the configuration has the Admin user in Essbase tagged as "External". That is the current authentication setting of our Essbase (11.1.2.1).

Another error I'm getting, this time from FoundationServices0.log is "weblogic.application.ModuleException: [HTTP:101216]Servlet: "WorkflowEngine" failed to preload on startup in Web application: "interop".
    javax.servlet.ServletException: DSF initalization error [FMWGEN][SQLServer JDBC Driver][SQLServer]Invalid column name 'processname'."

I'm not sure if the tables in 11.1.2.1 and 11.1.2.2 are structured differently, but the error message tells us that one column being queried does not exists in the database/table.

If anyone has experienced configuring 11.1.2.2 using the databases in 11.1.2.1, and could give me an idea how to do it (or if it is even possible), that would be great.

Edited by: 26FEB1986 on Sep 21, 2012 2:37 AM
  • 7. Re: Configure Hyperion 11.1.2.2 using Hyperion 11.1.2.1 SQL databases
    719374 Newbie
    Hello,

have you solved this message?

We have tried to install 11.1.2.2 with the option "apply maintenance release" to our test enviroment and get the same message in the foundation log, with a DB2-Repository.

Michael

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points