This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2012 12:15 AM by user13328398 RSS

accidently deleted standby logfiles on primary site

vivalavida Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,

on the primary site the standby redo log groups 4, 5 and 6 got accidentily deleted:

ALTER DATABASE DROP LOGFILE GROUP 4
Deleted Oracle managed file /opt/oracle/oradata/DB/archfiles/flashback/DB/onlinelog/o1_mf_4_77jcr8bz_.log
ALTER DATABASE DROP LOGFILE GROUP 5
Deleted Oracle managed file /opt/oracle/oradata/DB/archfiles/flashback/DB/onlinelog/o1_mf_5_77jcrd9w_.log
ALTER DATABASE DROP LOGFILE GROUP 6
Deleted Oracle managed file /opt/oracle/oradata/DB/archfiles/flashback/DB/onlinelog/o1_mf_6_77jcrjgt_.log

These are Standby Redo Logs and not Online Redo Logs!

However, the last Standby Redo Log group on primary site is still available:

select type, member from v$logfile where type = 'STANDBY' (primary site):
GROUP# TYPE MEMBER
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 STANDBY /opt/oracle/oradata/SELLPROD/archfiles/flashback/DB/onlinelog/o1_mf_7_77jcrmm7_.log

select group#, type, member from v$logfile where type = 'STANDBY' (standby site):
GROUP# TYPE MEMBER
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 STANDBY /opt/oracle/oradata/DB/otherfiles/redo_a/stbyDB_srl0.f
5 STANDBY /opt/oracle/oradata/DB/otherfiles/redo_a/stbyDB_srl1.f
6 STANDBY /opt/oracle/oradata/DB/otherfiles/redo_a/stbyDB_srl2.f
7 STANDBY /opt/oracle/oradata/DB/otherfiles/redo_a/stbyDB_srl3.f

The DataGuard environment is set up in maximum performance - therefore no errors currently occur.
The standby redo logs on primary site are created with OMF naming conventions.

The question now is:
- would it be correct just to create 3 new standby redo log groups (group# 4, 5 and 6) on the primary site or would that cause
some problems?
I would use the statement ALTER DATABASE ADD STANDBY LOGFILE GROUP 4 SIZE xxM. Would that create fa OMF file?

Thanks for any help
Rgds
JH
  • 1. Re: accidently deleted standby logfiles on primary site
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    The question now is:
    - would it be correct just to create 3 new standby redo log groups (group# 4, 5 and 6) on the primary site or would that cause
    some problems?
    Standby Redo Logs would not be used on primary database until you perform a switchover operation. So, I would say, you can create the 3 standby redo log groups on the primary database.
    I would use the statement ALTER DATABASE ADD STANDBY LOGFILE GROUP 4 SIZE xxM. Would that create fa OMF file?
    The files are on OMF. So your above mentioned command would perfectly work out.
  • 2. Re: accidently deleted standby logfiles on primary site
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

Just recreate them. This resize note should help :

http://jhdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/scripts-to-resize-standby-redolog-files/
    ALTER DATABASE ADD STANDBY LOGFILE GROUP 4 '/u01/app/oracle/oradata//redo04.log' SIZE 200M;
    http://gavinsoorma.com/2009/06/recreate-online-redologs-and-standby-database-logs/

*Unable To Drop And Recreate Standby Logfiles [ID 395146.1]*

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 3. Re: accidently deleted standby logfiles on primary site
    vivalavida Journeyer
    Hi ,

since I haven't created the environment I wonder in which directory the standby redo log file would get created when issuing the command

ALTER DATABASE ADD STANDBY LOGFILE GROUP 4 SIZE xxM;

Is there any chance to figure out which directory would get used? The file should end up in

/opt/oracle/oradata/DB/archfiles/flashback/DB/onlinelog/

and the name of the file can get generated by Oracle's OMF...

Rgds
    JH
  • 4. Re: accidently deleted standby logfiles on primary site
    mseberg Guru
    What advantage does OMF give you? I don't see a word on this in the Data Guard documentation.

Just create them :
    ALTER DATABASE ADD STANDBY LOGFILE GROUP 4 '/opt/oracle/oradata/DB/archfiles/flashback/DB/onlinelog/redo04.log' SIZE 200M;

ALTER DATABASE ADD STANDBY LOGFILE GROUP 5 '/opt/oracle/oradata/DB/archfiles/flashback/DB/onlinelog/redo05.log' SIZE 200M;

ALTER DATABASE ADD STANDBY LOGFILE GROUP 6 '/opt/oracle/oradata/DB/archfiles/flashback/DB/onlinelog/redo06.log' SIZE 200M;
    Best Regards

mseberg
  • 5. Re: accidently deleted standby logfiles on primary site
    vivalavida Journeyer
    Hi ,
    somebody else has set up the database - and the names of the standby redo logs are generated by OMF. I just wanted to keep this and don't change anything (I myself would not user OMF for those files).

I've created the files as you suggested - and everything is fine...

Many thanks
    JH
  • 6. Re: accidently deleted standby logfiles on primary site
    user13328398 Newbie
    Hi guys,

It is not needed to set DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT for environment with different file structure and OMF enabled - benefit of using OMF.

Best Regards,

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points