3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2013 8:06 AM by Brian Biggs RSS

preserve open files after SQL Developer upgrade

Brian Biggs
      I recently upgraded from SQL Developer 3.1 to 3.2 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop. Upon starting up the new version, I was prompted to copy my settings from the previous version. That worked great, but it did not bring over my open files. I normally have a set of 10-15 files I have open all the time in SQL Developer, and it would be nice for version upgrades to preserve that as well as my regular settings.

Does anyone know if it is possible to grab that list of open files from the previous version and import into the new version?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: preserve open files after SQL Developer upgrade
          Brian Biggs
          Bump. Anybody have any information on this? Getting ready to upgrade to 3.2.20 and thought I'd check before I lose all my tabs.
          • 2. Re: preserve open files after SQL Developer upgrade
            rp0428
            >
            Bump. Anybody have any information on this? Getting ready to upgrade to 3.2.20 and thought I'd check before I lose all my tabs
            >
            Don't know if that has been addressed but also don't see how knowing will affect your decision to upgrade. Just unzip the new version to a different folder and it will either update those settings or it won't.

You can view the settings in the 'preferences.xml' and 'windowinglayout.xml' files on your pc.
            • 3. Re: preserve open files after SQL Developer upgrade
              Brian Biggs
              No, of course it doesn't affect my decision to upgrade. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I needed to do PRIOR to upgrading to ensure that it brought those open files over to the new version.

I did upgrade, but sadly it still doesn't bring over those open files. It does look like the Recent Files list (Ctrl+Equals) DOES get pulled over in the upgrade, so I just went back through that list and selected the files I wanted. I don't use the Recent Files list, so I hadn't checked it in the past.