6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2012 12:29 PM by 963123 RSS

Fail to boot on Solaris 10 DVD

Hi,

I have a Sun Fire V215 which does n't boot correctly from hdd (ld.so.1: svc.startd: fatal: libpool.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory ..), then no available os command.
      I dowloaded the DVD Solaris 10 iso, burn my DVD, but it also does not boot on DVD.
      I could get Solaris8 02-02 CD, the Sun starts to boot, but failed because of 'can't find /kernel/sparcv9/unix'. Seems this Solaris 8 is not supported.
      It proove I can boot from CD but not the DvD - why???

So, I need Solaris 10 Cds (not DvD), but they are not distributed.

Then question:
      If possible, How to reduce the DVD iSO to a bootable CD?
      Can a 'jumpstart server for Solaris10' be intalled on a VirtualMachine x86 (I only have this V215 and XP PC)?

Thanks
      Sebastien
        • 1. Re: Fail to boot on Solaris 10 DVD
          bobthesungeek76036
          960120 wrote:
          Can a 'jumpstart server for Solaris10' be intalled on a VirtualMachine x86 (I only have this V215 and XP PC)?
          Yes. I have a VirtualBox instance running Solaris 10 and it works fine as a Jumpstart server. You need to configure the network as bridged.
          It proove I can boot from CD but not the DvD - why???
          No idea. The system should boot fine from a burned DVD if the burning process went Ok. Done it many times myself without issue. Are you using DVD-R blanks when burning?
          • 2. Re: Fail to boot on Solaris 10 DVD
            There was a time where Sun's servers were notoriously bad at booting from DVDs. IIRC the v215 is from that period.

You should be able to replace the DVD-ROM with a newer one that works better.
            • 3. Re: Fail to boot on Solaris 10 DVD
              muvvas
              im not sure this will help u

in our case we have a laptop with dual boot(solaris and xp)
              we configured the jump-start on laptop
              used the cross cable between laptop and sun fire v210.
              we are successfully able to install os to sun fire machine from jump-start server.
              • 4. Re: Fail to boot on Solaris 10 DVD
                Hi,

Thanks for this usefull tip. Is your laptop a 32 bits ? Which Solaris version did you install as dual boot?

I burnt many DVD-R with Solaris8, 9 and Sol 10 U10. None did boot, showing the error 'Disk label not found'.
                I'll try with DVD+R and DVD+RW.

Rgds
                • 5. Re: Fail to boot on Solaris 10 DVD
                  muvvas
                  Hi,

how ur burning the disks?

please download a valid copy from oracle.com (download solaris x86 dvd )and verfy the check sums
                  please cehck whether your dvd burner is in proper condition

burn at 4X speed

and create jumpstart with sparc dvd

for cross cabling use the network hub in between laptop and soalris server

and verify the ip (i guess you need to change 192.x series) for your laptop

Edited by: muvvas on Sep 24, 2012 3:40 AM
                  • 6. Re: Fail to boot on Solaris 10 DVD
                    Hi,

I was burning the Sol10 u10 image on DVD-R, using CDBurnerXP : All burnt DVD were not recognized (disk label not found).
                    I burnt a DVD+RW, with Nero: I could boot on it and reinstall.

My problem is fixed.

Thanks to all
                    Rgds