This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2012 6:37 AM by Tridus RSS

Problem in connecting to Oracle 8 database through Oracle 11g client ?

963526 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Database : Oracle 8

Client Machine :
Oracle 11g
Window7
Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle

Hi,
I am using Oracle 11g client to connect Oracle 8 database using Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle but I am getting error when after entered the password

Run-time error '40002':
IM006: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed

I am using VB6 application on Windows 7 and I created DSN using Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle but I got the above error when I try to connect to Database.
Please help me out on this that why this error is coming

Thanks
Amit Panwar
  • 1. Re: Problem in connecting to Oracle 8 database through Oracle 11g client ?
    Tridus Journeyer
    Based on what I'm seeing in the docs, Oracle 11 client can't connect to Oracle 8.

ODAC 10.2.0.2.20 could, provided the server is 8i release 3 or higher. That said, I don't think it has support for Windows 7 and since it was released well before Windows 7 was I'm not sure it'll even work.

TBH at this point Oracle 8 server is pretty archaic and you probably need to look at migrating.
  • 2. Re: Problem in connecting to Oracle 8 database through Oracle 11g client ?
    963526 Newbie
    Thanks for answering my question

I have read somewhere that we can connect to any version of Oracle from any version of Oracle using Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle, I am using DSN.
    So can I just connect in windows 7 or not?

or can I connect through Oracle 8 database through Oracle 8 client on windows7?

Yes we are migrating from 8 to 11g but still we need to test our applications so I need to run this
  • 3. Re: Problem in connecting to Oracle 8 database through Oracle 11g client ?
    Tridus Journeyer
    Provided its a 32-bit application, possibly. Microsoft ODBC for Oracle is discontinued and has no 64-bit version, so a 64-bit application won't be able to use it at all.

I do see it listed as a 32-bit ODBC driver on my Windows 7. The problem is that I think it relies on having an Oracle client installed on the machine, and you've got the same problem of Oracle client 11 not working with 8 server. You could try it and see if it works I suppose, or try installing an older client and see if that makes it work.

If it's just for testing purposes though you could throw up an Oracle XE server and test against that.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points