3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2012 5:36 PM by Dude! RSS

preferred files system for Oracle XE, APEX and GlassFish on Oracle Linux

tx103108 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Does anyone have any input on what filesytsem is best suited for

Oracle XE DB w/ APEX: _______
Glassfish: _____

on Oracle Linux 6.3?

I have read the Oracle XE is not certified under ext4 or xfs, the 2 filesystems that I am looking at?
So I may be stuck with ext3 (which is not a bad choice) but I am looking for optimal performance and stability.

Thank u
  • 1. Re: preferred files system for Oracle XE, APEX and GlassFish on Oracle Linux
    TommyReynolds Expert
    While I appreciate your diligence in asking, your question does not provide enough information to be answered.

1) A single machine or a server cluster?
    2) Local storage, SAN, NAS, or ...?
    3) High-availability?
    4) File system accessed by multiple servers?
    5) How big are the servers?
    6) What are the performance models of your applications? Steady dribble of I/O? Bursts of I/O traffic? How much data is transferred?
  • 2. Re: preferred files system for Oracle XE, APEX and GlassFish on Oracle Linux
    tx103108 Newbie
    1) A single machine or a server cluster? Single
    2) Local storage, SAN, NAS, or ...? Local
    3) High-availability? No
    4) File system accessed by multiple servers? No
    5) How big are the servers? Intel i3 Core, 8Gb Mem, 500 Gb HD
    6) What are the performance models of your applications? Steady dribble of I/O? Bursts of I/O traffic? How much data is transferred? Flucatating burst of data for reporting purposes (read-only) during business hrs 9-5, volume transfer unknown at this time but expect no large data transfers.

HTH
  • 3. Re: preferred files system for Oracle XE, APEX and GlassFish on Oracle Linux
    Dude! Guru
    Ext4 has new features and shows better performance benchmarks than ext3, but it does not automatically mean a stability and performance benefit for Oracle database. If you Google some more you should find some reports which outline that Oracle database performance under ext4 is substantially slower compared to ext3.

I have not seen any reports about a stability differences between the two filesystems. However, if you worry about stability you should certainly stick with the Oracle supported filesystem. Keep in mind that Oracle XE is a lightweight database. I allows only up to 11 GB of user data and up to 1GB of memory.

I recommend you use ext3 and a hardware RAID 10 solution if your goal is maximum data availability and performance. You can also get good results with Linux LVM, but you will need separate disks. Unfortunately, Oracle XE does not support Oracle Automatic Storage Management (ASM). You can also generally increase performance up to 30 % by keeping the disk space usage low and store you data at the outer sectors, or the beginning of a conventional hard drive, compared to the end of the disk.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points