This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2013 5:26 PM by bouye RSS

Unable to run JavaFX scene builder

963967 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm trying to run JavaFX Scene builder on Windows XP, 32-bit. Java version 1.7.0_07. I can't run it both with or without IDE (Netbeans 7.2, JavaFx Scene Builder home is stated). Nothing happens after a double-click. The problem might be in versions conflict, because previously I had 1.7.0_03, but now I uninstalled it and problem remains the same.
  • 1. Re: Unable to run JavaFX scene builder
    yves joan Explorer
    I assume you run the Scene Builder 1.0 GA; in order to check that please let us know what's the content of the file C:\Program Files\Oracle\JavaFX Scene Builder 1.0\bin\scenebuilder.properties

Can you open a Terminal, change your current directory to C:\Program Files\Oracle\JavaFX Scene Builder 1.0\bin and then call the executable scenebuilder.exe ? It's likely to print out something useful...

Regards
  • 2. Re: Unable to run JavaFX scene builder
    963967 Newbie
    Properties file:

Version = JavaFX Scene Builder 1.0
    BuildInformation = Version: 1.0-b50, Changeset: 22db15834430
    Date = 2012-08-07 16:35

I've tried to run scenebuilder.exe from command line - it prints nothing.
  • 3. Re: Unable to run JavaFX scene builder
    yves joan Explorer
    Are you able to build and run any of the NetBeans projects from the samples bundle at http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/javafx_scenebuilder/1.0-b50/javafx_scenebuilder_samples-1_0.zip ?

Can you check if you've a file with name containing scenebuilder.log and stored somewhere from user's AppData directory ?
  • 4. Re: Unable to run JavaFX scene builder
    964129 Newbie
    I have the same problem.

scenebuilder.properties:
    Version = JavaFX Scene Builder 1.0
    BuildInformation = Version: 1.0-b50, Changeset: 22db15834430
    Date = 2012-08-07 16:33

Java version:
    java version "1.7.0_07"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_07-b11)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.3-b01, mixed mode)

I can build and run the examples in Netbeans 7.2

When I run the scenebuilder.exe I get the following text in a "cmd" window:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No suitable 64 bits Java Runtime Environment (JRE) found : it must be
    Java 6 Update 29 or above
    OR
    Java 7 Update 2 or above

Press <ENTER>...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1

Thanks in advance!

Jon
  • 5. Re: Unable to run JavaFX scene builder
    963967 Newbie
    Yes, I can build and run that projects, and it seems there is no such log file.
    Although I've noticed that I can't open Java Control Panel, may be that's connected to my problem.
  • 6. Re: Unable to run JavaFX scene builder
    yves joan Explorer
    Jon,

Your issue seems to differ from Kanalya's one.

According to your input you start SceneBuilder 1.0 64-bit with a Java 7 U7 64-bit: this is a good combination.
    What probably fails in your case is the seeking within Windows registry, where scenebuilder.exe does not find the key it's looking for.
    When you say you've the JDK 7 U7 I guess you've the JRE as well ? SceneBuilder depends on the JRE, not JDK.
    You can run the registry editor and look by yourself for the key SceneBuilder expects to find:
    in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > JavaSoft > Java Runtime Environment > 1.7.0_07 your should have a key "JavaHome" with a path value, most probably "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7".
    This path might exist, and contain the java you expect (typically C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe -version should say it's 7 U7 64-bit).
    Let me know
    Regards
  • 7. Re: Unable to run JavaFX scene builder
    yves joan Explorer
    It's as if the issue occurs before Scene Builder itself starts: could it be at java level or even lower ? Your XP is at the latest level, I mean SP3 and Important Updates applied ?
  • 8. Re: Unable to run JavaFX scene builder
    963967 Newbie
    Yes, it's SP3 and everything is OK with updates.
  • 9. Re: Unable to run JavaFX scene builder
    929085 Newbie
    I reported this problem in JIRA forums, before the release 1.1 but they could not be able to replicate this problem on their own machines, so that they closed the bug report as resolved. Until now I tried to run it whenever a new version of jdk or javafx sdk releases. Alas, no success. I decided to continue my GUI design either with SWT or Swing library. I will refuse using JavaFX until it maturates. It has still a lot of problems.
  • 10. Re: Unable to run JavaFX scene builder
    yves joan Explorer
    A new Scene Builder 1.1 Developer Preview has been made available (build b11): in terms of packaging it is now self-contained on all supported platforms. This means you can run it even when no Java is installed on your machine.
    It is at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javafx/downloads/devpreview-1429449.html
    Of course there's other reasons to use release 1.1 such as new exciting features (detailed in the Release Notes) but that's another story.
    Hope this helps
  • 11. Re: Unable to run JavaFX scene builder
    935844 Newbie

So here its is June, 2013 and I have the same problem on my windows system.  Not a hint of why it will not start.  After spending 2 days installing and uninstalling jre, jdk and scenebuilder itself and trying all different PATH and CLASSPATH assignments, I finally downloaded Scenebuilder 1.1.  That works, for now.

• 12. Re: Unable to run JavaFX scene builder
    bouye Journeyer

Sometimes, when there is a crash or when closing the software, SceneBuilder does not exit and stays in memory (even if the window is no more accessible). When this happens, sometimes (not always), it prevents other instances of SceneBuilder from being launched. You may want to check for that too because it still happens to me with on the latest 1.1 builds on a regular basis.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points