This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 25, 2012 8:48 AM by rp0428 RSS

COnnecting to Oracle 8 from ODI using 11g Drivers

964150 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hi,

i am having various versions of database. few of my applications are on oracle 8 and few are on 10g.
now we are migrating one of application from Oracle 8 to 11g.
And i want to know if we install the 11g drvers would it be still able to connect to oracle8 database?

we are using ODI as an ELT tool. and i am more concern about the connectivity through ODI to all versions of databases.
as it would be running all applications and i can't risk to loose connectivity with any of my application.

i hope all information provided helps answer my problem.
any suggestions??

Thanks,
Chetan K
  • 1. Re: COnnecting to Oracle 8 from ODI using 11g Drivers
    rp0428 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    >
    am having various versions of database. few of my applications are on oracle 8 and few are on 10g.
    now we are migrating one of application from Oracle 8 to 11g.
    And i want to know if we install the 11g drvers would it be still able to connect to oracle8 database?
    >
    No - the JDBC 11 drivers do NOT support Oracle 8.

If your Oracle 8 version is 8.17 or later you should use the JDBC 10.2.0 driver; otherwise prior to 8.17 you will need the JDBC 9.0.1 driver to support it.

Here is the official Oracle JDBC page that shows the Oracle DB versions supported for each of the JDBC drivers available and also describes the JDBC jars and what JDK versions they support.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-faq-090281.html#02_01

The various JDBC jar files and supporting files are available via link on that page but no source code.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points