This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 9:11 AM by 510769 RSS

Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57

JacobatTheNewSchool Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I just downloaded 3.2.10.09.57. And, I'm setting up my preferences and connections. I usually have about 6-8 connection names for our database (production plus several test beds). So in the past I've named them something like this:
AA - PROD 8.5.1.1
BA - DEVL 8.5.2
BB - PPRD 8.5.0.5
CC - TEST 8.5.1.1
WX - UPGRD 8.5.1.1
WY - SPTEST 8.5.1.1

Where "AA" is a forced sort in the list, "PROD" is the SID, and "8.5.1.1" is the "version" of the database tables and architecture, etc., as a convenient way to remember which testing instance is on which version. I change the "version" number manually when upgrades are applied.

But, in this version of SQL Devleper, I'm getting an error message when I attempt to name my connections like this. It tells me "Connection Name invalid. Connection Name may contain only alphanumeric characters, the underscore (_) and the hyphen (-)."

Why this change? Is this intended? If this is an absolutely necessary change, would you consider allowing period (.)? ... just seems odd after using this tool for so many years, and having a comfortable connection naming convention for myself, that this change came along now.
thanks//jacob
  • 1. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    Jeff Smith SQLDev PM ACE Moderator
    Many bugs reported around connection names involving quoted strings, etc necessitated the new naming rules.

As I understand it, existing connections remain, but you'll be unable to modify them w/o changing the connection name to meet the new rules.
  • 2. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    archimede Newbie
    Oh dear, not even spaces are allowed?!? That's hard to understand, frankly. Seems like Oracle is trying hard to alienate SQLDev users... what a pity!

To the OP: as a (ugly) workaround, you can still open

~/.sqldeveloper/system3.2.10.09.57/o.jdeveloper.db.connection.11.1.1.4.37.59.48/connections.xml

with your preferred editor and name your connections as you see fit.

Alessandro
  • 3. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    Dimitri Gielis Oracle ACE Director
    I noticed the same thing... just as Jacob my previous connection names contained spaces as well.

Is this a bug they will fix, or do we need to live with it from now on?
  • 4. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    Thank you for reminding me where the connections.xml lives. This works for now.

It seems even stranger to me that whatever bugs that were reported couldn't take full quoted connection names into account if I can import historical names with spaces and dots AND if I can make changes to the xml file.

I tried with only hyphens and underscores - but it was difficult to read. And, I just had written it!
  • 5. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi,

As noted above, this new connection naming restriction is not a defect. Rather it is a response to at least two others filed against the log pane.

If you decide to edit the xml file as someone suggested, you may or may not see issues with the log. I have only seen cases where names containing double-quotes or multibyte character set characters may cause problems.

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 6. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    apodictus Newbie
    Hi Gary,

I understand fixing a bug, but this solution is more like "if we stop people from using SQL developer at all, they won't experience any problems anymore" if you understand what I'm getting at?

If the trouble is only caused, by a few characters like quotes wouldn't it make more sense just ruling only those out instead of ruling everything out? It seems noew the cure is worse then the decease, forcing many user to change there naming convention they have used for years.

Geert
  • 7. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    Udo Guru
    [...] forcing many user to change there naming convention they have used for years.
    I agree on that one and have to add that it seems impossible to even implement a new naming convention with the means available now: There is no character available in connection names that can't be part of a database username, so there is practically no way to differentiate between schema names and other parts to be used in a connection name...

-Udo
  • 8. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    Gary Graham Expert
    Thanks to all for your comments. Some internal discussion of this issue seems to have gotten interrupted by Oracle Open World, and perhaps will soon resume so a decision on any further changes to the connection naming rules can be made.

-Gary
  • 9. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    Marwim Expert
    Hello Gary,

if it helps in the internal discussion I want to add, that we have a lot of users that are no developers, but use only the reporting capabilities with imported reports. A company rule for naming of the connections is "SID <number for sorting> USER". This allows us to distribute connections with a consistent naming.

If we are not allowed spaces anymore we will get a lot of help desk tickets and we will spend a lot of time to fix it, time we would like to use for developing new features ;-)

Regards
    Marcus
  • 10. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    if it helps in the internal discussion I want to add, that we have a lot of users that are no developers, but use only the reporting capabilities with imported reports. A company rule for naming of the connections is "SID <number for sorting> USER". This allows us to distribute connections with a consistent naming.

If we are not allowed spaces anymore we will get a lot of help desk tickets and we will spend a lot of time to fix it, time we would like to use for developing new features
    >
    A simple workaround is instead of spaces and special characters use the underscore (_) to separate the components and it will still meet your company rule.

Though I would agree that if the connection name has no procedural significance (e.g. isn't required to meet Oracle naming conventions) and is merely a unique string then any characters allowed in an xml string should be permitted.
  • 11. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    Marwim Expert
    use the underscore (_) to separate the components and it will still meet your company rule
    Not really. The rule is "a space before and after the sorting number".

Though it would be a minor issue to change the rule and use underscore instead of a space, the problem is, that we would have to change the existing connections. Different users have different connections, so we cannot simply exchange the connections.xml. Each user would have to delete the existing connections and import the new ones. I would not trust to ask them to rename them, because this would surely create a lot of problems because more than one user will not be able to click and rename without errors. Besides, if you add the time each user needs, together with the time for the help desk, will add to many man days.

So we have a problem, because SQL Developer has an easy to use mechanism to distribute reports and connections, that makes it a ideal tool for reports that are not important enough to make it into our applications and nevertheless relieve us from sporadic and periodic requests for overviews and reporting ;-)

Regards
    Marcus
  • 12. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    806917 Explorer
    Gary -

As others have said, they cannot create connection names with special characters on 3.2.10.09.57.

I have also found on 3.2.10.09.57 that I cannot update attributes of connections that have connection names with special characters.

I agree with others on this thread - the cure is worse than the disease.

Scot
  • 13. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Scot,

The Connection naming rules have yet to be finalized, but in current form for the next release they are something like:
    Connection Name may not contain characters the file system restricts from use in directory and file names.
    The character exclusion list may or may not vary by operating system and, more or less, will probably contain...
    <:/\|?*()%&'$@^~#">
    {code}
    -Gary                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
  • 14. Re: Connection familiar name/description in 3.2.10.09.57
    Thanks, Gary, for this hopeful news!! It sounds like this will put this component of the product back on a track expected by many users.
    //jacob
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points