4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2012 11:11 AM by René van Wijk

opmn error while Configuring Oracle WebTier 11.1.1.5

Hi

I've installed Oracle HTTP Server 11.1.1.2 and applied Patchset 11.1.1.5 on RHEL 5.6.

I'm trying to configure it.

I've created a staticports.in file with contnets
      $ cat staticports.ini
      #Listen port for OHS component
      OHS Port = 7777
      #OPMN Local port no
      OPMN Local Port = 6700

I am getting an error saying "*CREATE AND START AS INSTANCE: FAILED*"
      This is what the logs show:

# cat /u01/app/oraInventory/logs/install2012-09-25_02-49-47PM.out

opmnctl startall: starting opmn and all managed processes...
      /u01/Middleware/Oracle_WT/opmn/bin/opmn: unexpected exit: code 512
      opmnctl startall: opmn failed to start.
      oracle.as.config.ProvisionException: Unable to start opmn
      at oracle.as.install.webtiercd.webtierconfig.util.CreateASInstance.createASInstanceWrapper(CreateASInstance.java:153)
      '
      '

$ cat /u01/Middleware/Oracle_WT/instances/instance1/diagnostics/logs/OPMN/opmn/opmn.log

[2012-09-25T14:56:14][opmn][NOTIFICATION:1][90][OPMN]
      ONS server initiated
      [2012-09-25T14:56:14][opmn][NOTIFICATION:1][520][OPMN][code:pm-internal]Create pm state directory: /u01/Middleware/Oracle_WT/instances/instance1/config/OPMN/opmn/states
      [2012-09-25T14:56:14][opmn][TRACE:1][526][OPMN][code:pm-internal]PM state file does not exist: /u01/Middleware/Oracle_WT/instances/instance1/config/OPMN/opmn/states/.opmndat
      [2012-09-25T14:56:14][opmn][NOTIFICATION:1][675][OPMN][code:pm-internal]OPMN server ready.  Request handling enabled.
      [2012-09-25T14:56:14]+_[opmn][ERROR:1][17][OPMN][code:ons-listener]216.8.179.25,6700: BIND (Cannot assign requested address)_+

I am getting the *same errors even if i try changing the OPMN Local Port to 6768 or other value in the staticports.ini file or even when i try with dynamic port allocation*.

I need to configure this for OAM.

Please help.

Ram                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
        • 1. Re: opmn error while Configuring Oracle WebTier 11.1.1.5
          René van Wijk
          You are probably using DHCP to obtain an IP-address and have something like the following in your /etc/hosts file

127.0.0.1 hostname localhost.localdomain localhost
          ::1     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

To resolve this issue obtain your IP and hostname and put it on a separate line in /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
          ::1     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
          your-IP-number hostname

See also here: http://middlewaremagic.com/weblogic/?p=7265#comment-4997
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: opmn error while Configuring Oracle WebTier 11.1.1.5
            Thanks for the reply

Yes, I have been using DHCP to obtain an IP-address. But i configured my system to take a static ip and it has been doing so without out issues untill now.
            This is what my Hosts file looks like/:

[root@vinod opmn]# cat /etc/hosts
            # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
            # that require network functionality will fail.

# 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
            # ::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

192.168.*.** vinod.********.com vinod

Please help.

Ram
            • 3. Re: opmn error while Configuring Oracle WebTier 11.1.1.5
              Hi René van Wijk

It worked when i uncommented the localhost entry of the loopback address.

Now my hosts entries look like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
              # ::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

192.168.2.99 vinod.ibizsoft.com vinod

But i am not sure as to why / how this has happenned .
              And what is it about the ip it's pointing to in the opmn log. "216.8.179.25,6700: BIND (Cannot assign requested address)"?

Could you please explain, cuz this has bugged me for 2 days and i am unable to let it go whithout knowing what actually happened.

Thanks & Regards,
              Ram.
              • 4. Re: opmn error while Configuring Oracle WebTier 11.1.1.5
                René van Wijk
                "And what is it about the ip it's pointing to in the opmn log. "216.8.179.25,6700: BIND (Cannot assign requested address)"?

The IP 216.8.179.25 is probably some internal address that is found when it was unable to find the 127.0.0.1 loopback.
                Could be this address is found through the virtualization platform (which usually installs some network adapters on the system) - if you are using virtualization, otherwise
                you have to check with you network administrators, and see if they can make something the IP you were getting.

"But i am not sure as to why / how this has happenned."
                We had the same problems (were using DHCP) - with 11.1.1.2 no problems. With a patch to 11.1.1.5 it broke down - I think it is a bug in OPMN (the 11.1.1.5 version).
                But to be sure it is a bug, you better check with Oracle Support, maybe they can shed a light on this. There are no known issues mentioned in the 11.1.1.5 release notes
                - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21764_01/doc.1111/e14770/partpage3.htm#sthref17