This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 7:28 AM by Branchbird - Pat RSS

Waht is the maximum length of search String can be accepted by Endeca

DevReddy Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,

I want to know what is the maximum length of search string i can pass to endeca , do we have a limit or not?

thanks,
DEV
  • 1. Re: Waht is the maximum length of search String can be accepted by Endeca
    PravinChikhale Explorer
    Hi Dev,

Endeca MDEX will restrict search term till 10 words If more search term is more than 10 words, it will truncate it to 10 words and fires search query.

- Pravin.
  • 2. Re: Waht is the maximum length of search String can be accepted by Endeca
    Branchbird - Pat Journeyer
    Also note that this is a configurable setting on the dgraph if there is a compelling use case to allow users to search for more than 10 words.

Typically, in a commerce application, 10 terms is more than enough but you do have the option...just be careful as you could open yourself up to performance issues if you go too high.

The name of the flag on the dgraph is --search_max.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 3. Re: What is the maximum length of QueryString can be accepted by Endeca
    974067 Newbie
    In one of our requirements, we need to pass the product_id's in the queryString. So the QueryString is becoming large. What is the maximum length of QueryString can be accepted by Mdex in Endeca?. Can you Please suggest me . Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Ravi

Edited by: 971064 on Nov 14, 2012 9:33 AM
  • 4. Re: What is the maximum length of QueryString can be accepted by Endeca
    TimK Explorer
    Hey Ravi,
    We had an app that passed in 1000s of ids to generate a record filter in the mdex query. The query string was huge! It also took over a second to process. I'll have to go back through my notes, we had to pare it down to a reasonable size in order for the performance to work.
    -Tim
  • 5. Re: What is the maximum length of QueryString can be accepted by Endeca
    Branchbird - Pat Journeyer
    Ravi,

How are you "passing the product_ids" in the query string? The original thread that you replied to (it has a misleading title) was concerning search terms. It sounds like you're asking a different question (1000's of N values, extra long record filter, etc.) so I wanted to be clear that the first 3 messages in the thread do not concern query string length at all.

Assuming we're talking record filtering, TimK has the right idea in that you should be evaluating what the best approach is and avoiding sending 1000s of Record Filter elements if you have other options.

Patrick

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points