4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2012 4:49 AM by Mark1970 RSS

How to decide between OWB and ODI?

Mark1970
      Having to decide whether to choose Oracle Data Integrator or Oracle Warehouse Builder like tool for creating a dataware house and loading data into it, what should I choose and why?
      I'm an old pl/sql developer but new on datawarehousing (I've been dealing with it for few months) and I'd like to undestand what fits better for me. It seems to me that OWB and ODI look not very different to each other, don't they?
      My Oracle vers. is 10gR2
      Thanks!
        • 1. Re: How to decide between OWB and ODI?
          Sutirtha Roy
          Mark1970 wrote:
          Having to decide whether to choose Oracle Data Integrator or Oracle Warehouse Builder like tool for creating a dataware house and loading data into it, what should I choose and why?
          I'm an old pl/sql developer but new on datawarehousing (I've been dealing with it for few months) and I'd like to undestand what fits better for me. It seems to me that OWB and ODI look not very different to each other, don't they?
          My Oracle vers. is 10gR2
          Thanks!
          Oracle corporation's statement of direction says ODI is their strategic ETL tool and if you and investing into Oracle ETl for the 1st time then it is better to invest in ODI .

OWB will be supported and finally OWB and ODI will get merged into a single tool.

For a pl/sql guy like you , the code generated by OWB is easy to understand as OWB mainly generates pl/sql code ( apart from sql loader and sap abap code ) . But that should not deter you to use ODI as ODI generates mainly SQL code (plus sove native code depending upon the technology used and KM) .
          • 2. Re: How to decide between OWB and ODI?
            Mark1970
            Thanks for the advice, but as I've got 10gR2, does Oracle Data Integrator work on it? It seems to me that Oracle Data Integrator is only for 11g, or am I mistaken?
            • 3. Re: How to decide between OWB and ODI?
              Sutirtha Roy
              Mark1970 wrote:
              Thanks for the advice, but as I've got 10gR2, does Oracle Data Integrator work on it?
              Yes .. it can work on 10gR2
              It seems to me that Oracle Data Integrator is only for 11g, or am I mistaken?
              Which version you are talking about ?
              • 4. Re: How to decide between OWB and ODI?
                Mark1970
                Looking here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/data-integrator/downloads/index.html I see that it refers only to ODI 11g versions but if you say that ODI 11g works on database 10gR2 as well, it's oK
                Bye!