This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2012 7:55 PM by Kalyan Pasupuleti-Oracle RSS

Using environment variable / double quotes in "Arguments" in "Server Start"

940625 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have an admin server, NodeManager, and 1 managed server, all on the same machine (windows). I am trying to enter something similar to this to the arguments field in the Server Start tab:

-Dmy.property=%USERPROFILE%\someDir\someJar.jar
But when the managed server is started it throws this exception:

Error opening zip file or JAR manifest missing : %USERPROFILE%\someDir\someJar.jar

It appears that the environment variable is not being translated into it's value. It is just passed on to the managed server as plain-text. I tried surrounding the path with double quotes (") but the console validates the input and does not allow this: *"Arguments may not contain '"'"*

Even editing the config.xml file manually cannot work, as the admin server fails to startup after this:

<Critical> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000362> <Server failed. Reason: [Management:141266]Parsing failure in config.xml: java.lang
.IllegalArgumentException: Arguments may not contain '"'.>
I also tried using %20 to no avail, it is just passed as %20.

I thought that perhaps this had something to do with the spaces in the value of %USERPROFILE% (which is "C:\documents and settings.."), but the same thing happens with other env. variables which point to other directories with no spaces.

_My question:_

Is there any supported way of :

using double quotes? what if i have to reference a folder with spaces in it's name?

reference an environment variable? What if i have to rely on it's value for distributed servers where i do not know in advance the variable's value?

Edited by: 937622 on Sep 28, 2012 1:02 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points