4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 1:12 PM by 822732 RSS

Keyboard repeat rates for Sun Ray thin clients.

Does anyone have an idea of how to adjust keyboard repeat rates in SRSS 5.3.1? I have been told by Oracle support that the keyboard settings are defaulted to 600ms. We have an application where a certain component experiences a terrible delay/lag when scrolling down with the keyboard. If you scroll with a mouse it works fine. In my testing I am able to make the issue almost go away if I slow down the keyboard refresh rate on my laptop when I use the RDP client on my laptop to connect to the backend terminal servers. I am thinking that if I can slow down the repeat rate for the Sun Ray thin clients then I can have the same fix occur in that environment. Any help would be great!
        • 1. Re: Keyboard repeat rates for Sun Ray thin clients.
          You can turn autorepeat off with "xset r off".

If you can get a version of xset that supports XKB extension, you can set the rate with "xset r rate ...".

And since the Xnewt X server supports the XKB extension, it should support adding "-ar1 delay_in_ms -ar2 repeat_in_ms" to the command line.
          • 2. Re: Keyboard repeat rates for Sun Ray thin clients.
            Thanks for the info......can you clarify where I would add the argument -ar 1 delay_in_ms at?
            • 3. Re: Keyboard repeat rates for Sun Ray thin clients.
              You can try modfiying the XMOREOPTS variable in /etc/opt/SUNWut/basedir/lib/utxsun.

But make sure you have a non-SunRay path to access the server before you try that. If you break it with your only access being via SunRay clients running of the server you're changing, you won't be able to get back on to fix it.

And note that this is probably highly unsupported....
              • 4. Re: Keyboard repeat rates for Sun Ray thin clients.
                Hello,

You were correct that the settings are now changed in the utxsun file. Opened up a call with Oracle support and got the answer.
                XMOREOPTS = "-br -ar1 600 -ar2 150"

The above configuration sets the delay before auto repeat keystrokes begins at 600ms and then the repeat rate at 150ms. This fixed the issue we have with one of our apps.

The default rate for thin clients is 600 and 50 respectively. Once the change is made you have to reboot the Sun Ray server before the setting takes effect.