This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2012 9:41 AM by Dude! RSS

To send a mail for failed login attempts,.

vaaru Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We have to implement the mailing system in linux.,to send the mail regarding failed login attempts and ip address of user who attempted the failed login.,any one have the idea on this?

Regards.,
Vaaru
  • 1. Re: To send a mail for failed login attempts,.
    Dude! Guru
    Please be more specific. No one can guess your Linux distribution and version. What are you using? Do you need information about setting up a mail system or how to track failed login attempts? Btw, https://forums.oracle.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=911
  • 2. Re: To send a mail for failed login attempts,.
    vaaru Newbie
    LSB Version: :core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-amd64:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
    Distributor ID: RedHatEnterpriseServer
    Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 Beta (Tikanga)
    Release: 5.3
    Codename: Tikanga

To track and send mail.,
  • 3. Re: To send a mail for failed login attempts,.
    Dude! Guru
    Running an old beta version of RHEL is a bad idea. If you are concerned about security and operation of your OS I suggest to use a more recent release version. You can download, install and use Oracle Linux for free.

Mail processing of failed login attempts is not a good idea and to my knowledge there is no such built-in system setting. I suggest you read the standard documentation or search the Web for information on how to set up a mail system. You will probably need to create a custom script to process failed login attempts.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points