This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2012 2:05 PM by RickG RSS

DB Hosting, specifically APEX

Phil UK Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Can you tell me if APEX hosting allows access to the file system so that access to javascript, css and images files can be passed to a webserver?
What webserver comes with hosting - is this the Apache 1.3 that comes with 11g?
  • 1. Re: DB Hosting, specifically APEX
    Dimitri Gielis Oracle ACE Director
    In my trial I've a link to a Secure FTP Site where you can upload your files.
    You don't need to worry about the web server... but it is Apache reverse proxy in front of Weblogic with the APEX Listener.
  • 2. Re: DB Hosting, specifically APEX
    RickG Explorer
    No, the current version of the Database Cloud Service does not allow access to a file system. The Database Cloud Service is not really hosting - you do not have access to the web service used in the offering.

You can store files like you mention in the Database Cloud Service itself.

Thanks.

- Rick Greenwald
  • 3. Re: DB Hosting, specifically APEX
    Phil UK Newbie
    Well that's the Cloud APEX solution rendered pretty useless then!
    Because Oracle don't sell APEX it seems to be pretty badly presented in the commercial world which is a shame.
  • 4. Re: DB Hosting, specifically APEX
    RickG Explorer
    Hi Phil -

Thanks for the feedback, but I am a bit confused. How does the need to store files in the database instead of a file system render the Database Cloud Service and APEX in that Service useless? If you could elaborate, we might be able to come up with a solution that meets your requirements.

- Rick Greenwald
  • 5. Re: DB Hosting, specifically APEX
    Phil UK Newbie
    Well although you can use images and files in the database, external images, CSS and javascript ar emuch better managed on the webserver.
    A service offering APEX that does not allow this means the service will be fundamentally different to what you'd want to deploy to client sites. If this could be changed it would be a much more attractive option.
  • 6. Re: DB Hosting, specifically APEX
    RickG Explorer
    Hi Phil -

Thanks for the explanation. The Cloud, by the very nature of its shared resources, must be more rigorous about denying some actions which would be allowed in a more exclusive environment. By allowing these files to be stored in the database, we still give you the functional equivalent, but, you are right, it might not be the way you would do it outside of a public cloud.

We hope to reduce these type of differences between the Database Cloud and a non-public implementation in the future. Thanks for your interest.

- Rick Greenwald

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points