This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 3:54 AM by MrMonza RSS

Installing Oracle Database 11g R2 in Solaris 11 x86-64

user457508 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm new to the Solaris environment, I'm trying to install Oracle Database 11g R2 in an Solaris 11 environment. I've checked below that packages that I will need to have in place prior to the install. This information was gathered from the documentation on the website.

pkginfo -i SUNWarc SUNWbtool SUNWhea SUNWlibC SUNWlibms SUNWsprot SUNWtoo SUNWi1of SUNWi1cs SUNWi15cs SUNWxwfnt
system SUNWarc Lint Libraries (usr)
system SUNWbtool CCS tools bundled with SunOS
system SUNWhea SunOS Header Files
system SUNWlibC Sun Workshop Compilers Bundled libC
system SUNWlibms Math & Microtasking Libraries (Usr)
system SUNWsprot Solaris Bundled tools
system SUNWtoo Programming Tools
ERROR: information for "SUNWi1of" was not found
ERROR: information for "SUNWi1cs" was not found
ERROR: information for "SUNWi15cs" was not found
ERROR: information for "SUNWxwfnt" was not found

Above are a list of packages that are in installed on my Solaris 11 system. Where and how can I get the missing packages?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Installing Oracle Database 11g R2 in Solaris 11 x86-64
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    the same cd you installed OS from .

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/solaris-add-install-new-software-packages.html
  • 2. Re: Installing Oracle Database 11g R2 in Solaris 11 x86-64
    9135487 Newbie
    These packages are available on Solaris Media. You can add theses packages using this command
    # pkgadd -d /cdrom/Solaris_11/Product SUNWi1cs SUNWi15cs SUNWi1of SUNWxwfnt
    Where,
    -d is for directory, you can locate where your media is placed and change the command accordingly.

Edited by: 941935 on Oct 3, 2012 10:59 PM
  • 3. Re: Installing Oracle Database 11g R2 in Solaris 11 x86-64
    user457508 Newbie
    I've been unable to locate the following packages: SUNWi1of, SUNWxwfnt, SUNWi15cs and SUNWi1cs on the Solaris 11 CD. So I down loaded the Image Repository CD from the Solaris website. I only found SUNWi1cs and SUNWi15cs on the CD. However the sub-directories only contained just one file as follows:

SUNWi1cs:

set name=pkg.fmri value=pkg://solaris/SUNWi1cs@0.5.11,5.11-0.130:20101027T184248Z
    set name=pkg.obsolete value=true variant.arch=i386
    set name=variant.opensolaris.zone value=global value=nonglobal variant.arch=i386
    set name=variant.arch value=i386

SUNWi15cs:

set name=pkg.fmri value=pkg://solaris/SUNWi15cs@0.5.11,5.11-0.130:20101027T184247Z
    set name=variant.arch value=i386
    set name=pkg.obsolete value=true variant.arch=i386
    set name=variant.opensolaris.zone value=global value=nonglobal variant.arch=i386

The files SUNWi1of and SUNWxwfnt were not found on either of the CDs.

At the end of the day none of the 4 files that I need to load Oracle Database seem to be available to me. Where can I get the files?

I'm running Solaris 11 x86-64 as a VM using VMWare Station 9 on a Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64 hardware.

I'm using the ISO downloaded from the Solaris website: "Oracle Solaris 11 11/11 Live Media for x86"

Thanks
  • 4. Re: Installing Oracle Database 11g R2 in Solaris 11 x86-64
    MrMonza Newbie
    I believe the packages you refer to are required if your target OS was Solaris 10.

You case is different. Your target - as far as I understand - is Solaris 11.

Here the [Oracle Database Install Guide|http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24351/toc.htm] has this to say:

Note:
    No special kernel parameters, packages, or patches are required at the time of this release for Oracle Solaris 11.
  • 5. Re: Installing Oracle Database 11g R2 in Solaris 11 x86-64
    user13389509 Newbie
    Not actually true. You need a working X11 to run the interactive installer. Which means either install solaris-desktop or try this:

xauth - required to allow ssh to set up X11 forwarding with authentication
    x11/diagnostic/x11-info-clients - required for software that executes xdpyinfo
    library/motif - required for software that has a Motif GUI
    terminal/xterm

Note that I haven't tested this yet but it looks right. Solaris-desktop is not installed by default in most cases.

Thanks go to http://lildude.co.uk and Alan Coopersmith for this info (hi Alan). The notion of installing the whole desktop infra for this task is absolutely preposterous and the documentation should offer alternatives. This is not windows or linux, guys. You shouldn't need to install everything in order to install anything. Under S10 you loaded SUNWCreq plus the 10 or so packages and you were set.

Or, you can use response files instead and sidestep the whole problem:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24346/app_nonint.htm#BABFEECI, Appendix A. Some assembly required.

Chuck
  • 6. Re: Installing Oracle Database 11g R2 in Solaris 11 x86-64
    MrMonza Newbie
    Excellent post, Chuck.

I stand corrected. I guess the text in the Oracle Database guide:

Note:
    No special kernel parameters, packages, or patches are required at the time of this release for Oracle Solaris 11.

is then somewhat misleading.

In any case the original posting talks about packages with names that start with 'SUNW' and accompanying command such as pkginfo. That is SRV4 packaging and does not really belong on Solaris 11, does it? As you know the packaging system on Solaris 11 is now IPS which is very different from SRV4 packages.

So to sum up : When installing Oracle Database 11gR2 on Solaris 11 (X86-64) you do not need the packages listed in the original posting. That list refers to Solaris 10 as they are SRV4 packages. You do however - as Chuck points out - need a working X11 client system in order to use the Oracle Database installer. (http://lildude.co.uk/howto-get-xterm-on-solaris-11-without-installing-the-whole-of-the-solaris-desktop-group).

I haven't tried this myself but I'm guessing you can get away with only installing library/motif, i.e.

$ pkg install library/motif

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points