3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2012 1:23 PM by morgalr RSS

Double clicking .jar file does nothing!

Hello i am wondering, how to run a .jar file by double clicking it?
      After creating the jar file and by typing javaw.exe -jar ledger.jar in command prompt in windows 7 works fine for my swing application.
      I created a .bat file which has javaw.exe -jar ledger.jar also works fine.
      But when i double clicking the ledger.jar is not working, not giving any error, not even doing anything.
      I tried associating .jar file with java or javaw then also nothing happens.

My questions are:

1) What i have to do to execute the .jar file by double clicking it?
      2) Why java is not so user friendly to the end users especially in Desktop Applications?

Thanks in advance.

Note: OS - Windows 7 64 bit
      JRE - 32 bit in Program files (x86) folder version 7
        • 1. Re: Double clicking .jar file does nothing!
          handat
          You need to associate with javaw or java but with the -jar option as well. So you will end up with something like this in the registry:

javaw -jar "%1"

Your other question, please blame Microsoft for not making file associations easier to manage.
          • 2. Re: Double clicking .jar file does nothing!
            gimbal2
            handat wrote:
            Your other question, please blame Microsoft for not making file associations easier to manage.
            Too easy. You can blame MS all you want; it is the task of the Java runtime installer to properly setup the file associations - OR the administrator which bypasses the runtime installation with his own scripts. i have installed the runtime many times including on Windows 7 and it always does it properly. I have no clue how people end up with half-finished installations.
            • 3. Re: Double clicking .jar file does nothing!
              morgalr
              You can also do a "openwith" option by right clicking on the file and select the box that says "always open with this application" then choose javaw as the file to open with.