4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2012 4:28 PM by orafad RSS

can odbc gateway be installed with oracle xe?

Jerry Ireland
      I would like to access other databases through oracle XE. Can ODBC gateway be used to accomplish this? I am hoping to connect to Dbase, Access and QuickBooks if anyone has any experience with those particular DBs
        • 1. Re: can odbc gateway be installed with oracle xe?
          orafad
          user557610 wrote:
          I would like to access other databases through oracle XE. Can ODBC gateway be used to accomplish this?
          Generic connectivity piece is already installed with XE. Look in bin (dg4odbc) and hs directories.
          I am hoping to connect to Dbase, Access and QuickBooks if anyone has any experience with those particular DBs
          If your "db" tools support odbc access (e.g. provide a interface driver) at required level, then go ahead and try.
          • 2. Re: can odbc gateway be installed with oracle xe?
            Jerry Ireland
            thanks for the quick response. I have all the odbc drivers I need and have been able to connect to them all using a connection testing tool. I discovered that the ds direstory was there and have been trying to set up the various tnsname, listener...
            not much luck getting it to work yet. Any particularly helpful documents would be appreciated
            • 3. Re: can odbc gateway be installed with oracle xe?
              clcarter
              the ds direstory
              The hs directory? 11g, correct? Try this: http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3909761/Connecting-to-SQL-Server-from-Oracle-Database.htm

The OH/network/admin is for configuring client stuff, as well as the listener.ora file which is for ... configuring your listener(s).

Any client setup should also have a sqlnet.ora file specifying oracle networking parameters, i.e. NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES) means the client will only look at the tnsnames.ora file for connection particulars for a tns alias.
              • 4. Re: can odbc gateway be installed with oracle xe?
                orafad
                user557610 wrote:
                trying to set up the various tnsname, listener...
                Basic config items are listener (static "sid" for the gateway), gateway (pointing out odbc source, etc.) and the "3rd party" odbc driver config. Then you create a db link on top, for odbc source access.
                Any particularly helpful documents would be appreciated
                This should be helpful in putting the pieces together:
                http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/gateways.112/e12061/configodbc.htm

But now we're getting out of scope of this forum.
                Go here instead, {forum:id=63}

Edited by: orafad on Oct 4, 2012 11:27 PM