This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 12:54 AM by TPD-Opitz-Consulting-com RSS

How to access the Swing Conponents in different Classes

knidhi Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi
In swing based application, Parent Frame filled with multiple Panels, for each panel i created separate class and added the required swing component.
components in one panel class require to update/modify components in another panel class.
For solving this problem i made the components & required methods in a class as STATIC and directly access from another class.

Is it right approach?
is there any other approach to solve this issue?

Thanks
nidhi
  • 1. Re: How to access the Swing Conponents in different Classes
    Jörg Explorer
    One very common approach is to use so called setter and getter methods to access objects in a class:
    class Fruit {
      String type;
      int quantity;

public String getType() {
        return type;
      }

public void setQuantity(int i) {
       quantity= i;
      }

}
  • 2. Re: How to access the Swing Conponents in different Classes
    morgalr Explorer
    Just pass a reference to the object you need to reference to the second object:
     MySecondObject o = new MySecondObject(myFirstObject);
  • 3. Re: How to access the Swing Conponents in different Classes
    TPD-Opitz-Consulting-com Expert
    knidhi wrote:
    Hi
    In swing based application, Parent Frame filled with multiple Panels, for each panel i created separate class and added the required swing component.
    components in one panel class require to update/modify components in another panel class.
    For solving this problem i made the components & required methods in a class as STATIC and directly access from another class.

Is it right approach?
    No.
    is there any other approach to solve this issue?
    Yes. Learn about the MVC design pattern.

You already implemented the V(iew)-part.
    Now you have to create a M(odel) to hold the Information you want to manipulate and display and a C(ontroller) that changes this information upon the user input (could be combined...)
    Usually the display components register themselves as Listeners to the model and the model publishes state changes to who ever has been registered...

bye
    TPD

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points