2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 1:33 PM by jgarry RSS

DOUBTS On OTN Forum

Pradeep Kalyan
      Need to know what is the use of having various statuses like Newbie, Journeyer or Pro.

If am registered user of my employer and they are Oracle Platinum partner.
      If I become journeyer.. Will my employer get notified? gets any benefit?

Please clarify.
        • 1. Re: DOUBTS On OTN Forum
          BluShadow
          Pradeep Kalyan wrote:
          Need to know what is the use of having various statuses like Newbie, Journeyer or Pro.
          So that people on the forum can get an idea if you're a regular contributor who knows what they're talking about (people have respected your correct or helpful answers) or if you're just somebody new who may not be supplying good help (yet).
          If am registered user of my employer and they are Oracle Platinum partner.
          If I become journeyer.. Will my employer get notified? gets any benefit?
          No. Nobody else is going to get notified of your activity on the forum, and no, they won't get any benefit from you being a member (except perhaps the fact you may learn some good things from the experts)
          The only way your employer would be notified of anything is if you are not using a personally allocated email address (i.e. instead you are using a shared email address) to access the forums. In such a case, everyone with access to that email address would see any notifications, such as watches you have on discussions or questions you have asked etc.
          • 2. Re: DOUBTS On OTN Forum
            jgarry
            Remember there are crazy people in the world who may take offense at something you say online and contact your employer. People may not like your employer either, and take it out on you. There's something to be said for an anonymous user, and something to be said for keeping your account separate from your employer (think about when you change jobs). Your employer probably has rules about online behavior.

Personally I find using real names helps add trust or at least verisimilitude, but the reality is there is cyber-bullying in the world. I do wish I knew who some people are, just so I could thank them, online or in real life.

Some people have a negative view of the status, it is a distraction from pure information exchange. On the other hand, it can be a minor help, for example, giving a resume to someone who knows nothing about Oracle.