This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2012 7:15 PM by zycoz100 RSS

my control file is corrupt..

zycoz100 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I had a single control file and control file cant be acessed...it is corrupt..
when i try to copy the file using os i cant ..so i went to database and i did take a trace of the control file..

How can i now rename the controlfile. .I cant acess this controlfile..using os...it throws some error..

Is the db gone ? Any method still to restore. I want to copy the control file via os. . But i cant..
What can we don in such scenario
db 11g xe , os win 7 .. I will like to change the location of my new controlfile..

Edited by: zycoz100 on Oct 6, 2012 4:19 AM
  • 1. Re: my control file is corrupt..
    JohnWatson Guru
    I tihnk you need to provide bit more information:
    Why do you think your controlfile is damaged?
    Why can't you copy it?

Note that "it throws some error.." is neither an Oracle nor an operating system error message.
  • 2. Re: my control file is corrupt..
    zycoz100 Newbie
    The system just hangs when i try to copy the controlfile..
    The hard disk c drive has got ...some bad sectors...i earlier had recived crc errors...
    The controlfile were present in this location.. Only 1.. But now i am not able to copy it..
    via os..i am using win 7 ...32 bit..
    Took a controlfile trace
  • 3. Re: my control file is corrupt..
    JohnWatson Guru
    I am still not clear on why you think the controlfile is damaged. I would have thought that if it were damaged, you would not have been able to generate the trace file. But if it is, terminate the instance and run the trace file to re-create the controlfile. And while you are about it, add another copy so that you won't have the same problem again.

(By the way, there appears to be something wring with your keyborad, it is introducing a lot of dots into your sentences)
  • 4. Re: my control file is corrupt..
    Balazs Papp Expert
    set ORACLE_SID=XE
    sqlplus / as sysdba
    create pfile from spfile;
    exit
    edit $ORACLE_HOME/database/initXE.ora, change path at control_files parameter
    sqlplus / as sysdba
    create spfile from pfile;
    startup nomount;
    @controlfile_trace.sql
  • 5. Re: my control file is corrupt..
    zycoz100 Newbie
    i had to recreate the database.. cause .. lot of location were having data corruption error..
    cause of hard disk fault.... so had to recreate ...everything..
    Moral of story i felt is however experienced you are..never .. be a bit over confident..on backup...
    Use a rman backup and always validate it.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points