1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 8, 2012 10:37 AM by 758358 RSS

Using Securefile with compression for queue table lob segment

We have a very large lob segment associated with a particular queue table. We'd like to use the securefile option so that we can compress the lob segment. I've been trying to find an specific advice about this on metalink and on the internet in general but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of an official statement. Has anyone done this or is anyone aware of any guidance notes specifically with relation to a queue table?

• 1. Re: Using Securefile with compression for queue table lob segment

I don't think there is an official statement for this (that I am aware of anyway) but if you look at the following parameter:

[DB_SECUREFILE |http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25513/initparams068.htm#REFRN10290]

You will see one of the possible settings is:

Attempts to create all LOBs as SecureFile LOBs but creates any LOBs not in an Automatic Segment Space Managed tablespace as BasicFile LOBs, unless SECUREFILE is explicitly specified. Any BasicFile LOB storage options that are specified will be ignored and the SecureFile defaults will be used for all storage options not specified.

So, given it is possible to force lobs to be SecureFile's on creation you would have to assume it is ok to use them in association with Queue Tables payloads or Oracle would not have created a parameter setting that allowed it to happen (or you would like to think so anyway!).

Hope this helps,