This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2012 1:17 AM by Tolls RSS

Where to begin?

966970 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Everyone,

First of all, I do want to apologize for my beginner question/s. I am actually an inspiring beginner which means I still do not know what or where to begin my Java journey.

My main goal is to build websites using Java but my challenge is where to actually where to start. If anyone can point me to the right direction, I will really really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Best regards,
LG
  • 1. Re: Where to begin?
    966813 Newbie
    Hello LG,

my best suggestion to you is before start with java, be aware of C language ( gives you the fundamental idea of programming and you can get the way of code flow ), then move to C++ so that you can get the basic fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming. I can tell you to don't peep deeply in to the pointer concepts during your journey @ c , c++ as that concept is a very vast one and typical one in the entire C & C++ concepts. Of course, there is no pointer concept in java technology. So, you can skip the pointers concept. Then you can start learning java. First learn the core concepts in java and then start learning a web server, servlets & JSP so that you can start developing the websites in java.

Further you can automatically get the way to learn various frameworks and other web technologies as per your requirements ....

For any, you can mail me @ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All the very best,

AnanthaNag Kundanala.

Edited by: sabre150 on Oct 9, 2012 6:39 AM

Moderator action : email address removed
  • 2. Re: Where to begin?
    sabre150 Expert
    963810 wrote:

my best suggestion to you is before start with java, be aware of C language ( gives you the fundamental idea of programming and you can get the way of code flow ), then move to C++ so that you can get the basic fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming.
    Sorry but that is absolute rubbish! The OP should start with the Java tutorial http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ .
  • 3. Re: Where to begin?
    TPD-Opitz-Consulting-com Expert
    Discard the post of *963810* !

<tt>C</tt> is a kind of ancestor of Java. But its a procedure oriented language (whereas Java is object oriented). Understanding <tt>C</tt> will help to understand some (common) keywords but its not worth the effort (for now).

<tt>C++</tt> is (in a weired way) the "older brother" of Java. But <tt>C++</tt> bounded itself to be compatible with <tt>C</tt> which means it introduced object oriented features to the still procedural language. IMHO this didn't work well... The time You'd spend leaning <tt>C++</tt> is better spend on learning Java and Lisp and PL/SQL.

So follow sabre150 and go your way through the java tutorial.

bye
    TPD
  • 4. Re: Where to begin?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Knowing C has its benefits, although I wouldn't go as far as learning C before learning Java, it muddies the water too much. Knowing ABOUT C and how it differs from object oriented languages gives you the benefit of understanding OOP better, as you can see what is different and hopefully: how it is better.
  • 5. Re: Where to begin?
    800268 Expert
    If you just want to build simple websites, I would start with learning HTML then some CSS and Javascript (which is not Java).

http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/HTML/Training

http://w3fools.com/
    http://www.w3schools.com/
  • 6. Re: Where to begin?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Note that w3schools is full of mistakes which the authors refuse to fix, or so I've gathered.

If you want to get into web front-end development it might indeed benefit to invest into such things as css, javascript+jquery, node.js, oauth, REST, websocket, etc. Knowing all that before you learn Java web dev can take away some of the complexity.
  • 7. Re: Where to begin?
    800268 Expert
    Ah, didn't know that (I'm no web developer) :)
  • 8. Re: Where to begin?
    aksarben Journeyer
    I'm a little unclear on your intent. Are you assuming Java is necessary to build Web sites? It isn't, of course, as other replies note. You can build a perfectly fine (though simple) site with just HTML & CSS. But if you want to learn Web design as part of a larger agenda which includes Java, then that's perfectly fine, too. Just don't try to do both at once. That would be an awful lot to chew on for a beginner.

Having said that, once you learn the basics of how a Web page works, Java can help you progress to more sophisticated designs & functionality. I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on what Web framework is best, and largely that depends on your objectives & preferences. But if you're looking for a framework that plays well with Java, I personally think Wicket is one of the best out there right now. It cleanly separates the logic (Java) from the presentation (HTML & CSS). The learning curve is decidedly non-trivial though, so I would work on getting thoroughly grounded in Web page structure, the HTML protocol, etc. before trying to tackle a framework.
  • 9. Re: Where to begin?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Walter Laan wrote:
    Check out this site to get an idea: http://w3fools.com/
  • 10. Re: Where to begin?
    Tolls Journeyer
    gimbal2 wrote:
    Walter Laan wrote:
    Check out this site to get an idea: http://w3fools.com/
    Crikey.
    Thanks for that.
    I've only ever used it for the briefest of definitions...generally I go to W3C, but I have referenced w3schools before for others.
    I think I ought to stop.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points