2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2012 1:30 AM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

is it possible if copy backup file from 1 db to another db and restore it?

Hi there,

My leader tell me that he can copy backed up file (incremental backed up file) from one database (orcl) to another database (orcl2) and restore it to another database then it work well. But he don't explain detail how to do it. About me that i don't think it is possible to do that. I want to ask you is it possible?

Thank in advance!

P/s: Sorry for my bad English.

Best Regards,
        • 1. Re: is it possible if copy backup file from 1 db to another db and restore it?
          788420 wrote:
          Hi there,

My leader tell me that he can copy backed up file (incremental backed up file) from one database (orcl) to another database (orcl2) and restore it to another database then it work well. But he don't explain detail how to do it. About me that i don't think it is possible to do that. I want to ask you is it possible?

Thank in advance!

P/s: Sorry for my bad English.

Best Regards,
          if you're talking about copy one dbf file backup from one database and restore in it another database than its simply not possible .

however you can use Transporting Tablespaces Between Databases.
          This technique is used to copy a set of tablespaces from one Oracle Database to another
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/tspaces013.htm
          • 2. Re: is it possible if copy backup file from 1 db to another db and restore it?
            Hemant K Chitale
            copy backed up file (incremental backed up file) from one database (orcl) to another database (orcl2) and restore it to another database
            No. not possible. A datafile "belongs" to a database that is identified by the DBID and DB_NAME in the file header.
            An Incremental Backup as a BackupSet cannot be applied to another database as the corresponding Level0 backup wouldn't match.

Transportable Tablespaces is a method to "copy" a Tablespace (which may be a single datafile or multiple datafiles) to another database. But that does not and cannot use "incremental backups". It has to be a physical copy (not backup) of the datafile(s).

Hemant K Chitale