This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 2:00 AM by Dude! RSS

OEL 6.3 system-config-network tool

SPA2 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,
I just do an installation of OEL 6.3 and wonder while the system-config-network tool looks completely new.
Okay there a lot of things missing like editing hostname, domain, dns and so on.

What do I have to do to get it back under OEL 6.3?

I try the other tools system-config-network-tui and system-config-network-cmd but I can't find the functionality.

What do I have to edit and configure manually when the system-config-network doesn't exists?

kind regards
SPA2
  • 1. Re: OEL 6.3 system-config-network tool
    Dude! Guru
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and hence Oracle Linux 6 do no longer install a Graphical Desktop when doing a default server installation. If you want a Graphical Desktop you can customize the initial installation, or do it afterwards using the following command:

<pre>
    yum groupinstall "X Window System" Desktop "General Purpose Desktop" \
    "Graphical Administration Tools" "Legacy X Window System compatibility"

sed -i 's|id:3:initdefault:|id:5:initdefault:|g' /etc/inittab
    shutdown -r now
    </pre>

However, keep in mind that you can generally run GUI applications using SSH with X forwarding or Tiger VNC without the need to install X Windows Server on the Linux server or running a Graphical Desktop.

Unfortunately, the GUI version of system-config-network under EL 6 requires the Network Manager service, which you might not want to run on a server platform. Anyway, to use the connection editor GUI, the following should do:

<pre>
    yum install NetworkManager-gnome
    service NetworkManager start
    chkconfig NetworkManager on
    nm-connection-editor
    </pre>

Alternatively, simply edit the following files to configure your DNS, hostname and hosts file:

<pre>
    /etc/sysconfig/network
    /etc/hosts
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    /etc/resolv.conf
    service network restart
    </pre>
  • 2. Re: OEL 6.3 system-config-network tool
    SPA2 Newbie
    Hi,
    thanks for the answer.

Actually the nm-connection-manager is not the same like system-config-network.
    You will not change the hosts file and domain and so on.

So it seems that I have to edit all the files manually.

regards
    SPA2
  • 3. Re: OEL 6.3 system-config-network tool
    Dude! Guru
    You can change the DNS configuration in the nm-connection tool when you edit the interface configuration and use manual IP addressing. The /etc/hosts file you need to edit using a text editor.

It seems to me that RHEL is not the only OS though to follow a certain demographic user profile development, where you have the expert (Server) on one, and the computer illiterate (Desktop) on the other end. I question whether or not the expert prefers command-line, I don't, but some are vehemently promoting it.

Edited by: Dude on Oct 10, 2012 1:48 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points