This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 4:53 AM by MarcoGralike RSS

need help on dataload into different storage

967186 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello
I am an Oracle dba new to xml db,we have binary storage with 4schemas ,Right now indexing on 2gb table takes like 20GB on Path table and secondary xml index.
I want to change the table storage without disturbing the application developement just the xmltype column into Object relational and merged all the 4xml schemas into master schema.Right now i want to insert the data from old tables which had different URl

.How I can improve performance wihtout having 20Gb on secondary index objects.Please advice me .
Vas
  • 1. Re: need help on dataload into different storage
    MarcoGralike Oracle ACE Director
    Currently Being Moderated
    964183 wrote:
    Hello
    I am an Oracle dba new to xml db,we have binary storage with 4schemas ,Right now indexing on 2gb table takes like 20GB on Path table and secondary xml index.
    Would also need database version (exact) to be more precise, but guessing because the path table and secondary index are so big, that you created the unstructured XMLIndex without using PATH SUBSETTING (include/exclude statements in the param section of the create/alter xmlindex syntax). This approach would be like indexing all columns on a relational table and then even add some more. The path table would have been much smaller if you would have, using path subsetting, only indexed the bits and pieces in the XML that actually was used a lot in predicates or other DML.

Exercise in Range Partitioning, Structured and Unstructured XMLIndexes
    http://www.liberidu.com/blog/2007/08/13/xmlindex-part-2-xmlindex-path-subsetting/
    I want to change the table storage without disturbing the application developement just the xmltype column into Object relational and merged all the 4xml schemas into master schema.Right now i want to insert the data from old tables which had different URl

.How I can improve performance wihtout having 20Gb on secondary index objects.Please advice me .
    Vas
    You are comparing apples with oranges regarding XMLType implementation and use-cases. Have a look at the whitepaper on the XMLDB main page referencing "Oracle XML DB : Choosing the Best XMLType Storage Option for Your Use Case (PDF) Jan 2010".

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/xmldb/index.html

After reading this whitepaper, hereby a question for you, does or not, XMLType Object Relational storage come with default indexes...?

Edited by: Marco Gralike on Oct 25, 2012 1:52 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points